Hello fellow athletes!! I’m New here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
The happy cyclist
@The happy cyclist you're too happy for on here, we are all grumpy :whistle: :laugh:
Only kidding, welcome to CC! :welcome:
Ha ha thank you

Sharky

Guru
I've had static (dumb) turbos for about 30 yrs now. Never used very much, but have found them useful when bad weather stops me going outside. Also helpful when recovering from broken bones.

However, since no longer commuting and having broken the odd bone or two in the last 10 years, I've found that my 10 times have gradually been getting slower. So this last week I've done a few sessions to try and boost the remaining 10's and I plan to be a bit more structurd thru the winter in the hope on reaching my 70th year, it will be a good one.

OP
OP
The happy cyclist
I've had static (dumb) turbos for about 30 yrs now. Never used very much, but have found them useful when bad weather stops me going outside. Also helpful when recovering from broken bones.

However, since no longer commuting and having broken the odd bone or two in the last 10 years, I've found that my 10 times have gradually been getting slower. So this last week I've done a few sessions to try and boost the remaining 10's and I plan to be a bit more structurd thru the winter in the hope on reaching my 70th year, it will be a good one.
I also think I will get good use that way! Especially with all the apps out now like zwift and all that they record your power and cadence which I don’t have while on the road!

Welcome:welcome:

Turbo miles are the epitome of junk miles, unless you are doing specific targeted drills ( one leg, HIIT ) and so on and so forth. They can be very useful training aids, or they can be used for just meaningless junk plodding ( non training plan Zwift etc.) Actually, due to the fact that on ( most ) turbos, the bike doesn't move about in a ‘natural’ way, and you don’t have braking / cornering forces, purely using a turbo trainer, with no actual road riding, is counter productive in the long run. Using it as a supplement is better.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Ha ha! Ya the road is obviously the best place to train but with the days getting shorter and the weather is changing for the worse I think I need to start thinking about moving my training indoors

Hah! Sure there’s lots to be gained on the road, but I meant https://www.trainerroad.com which is structured indoor training (or outside) which I use on my Wahoo Kickr. It has really turned my general fitness and fat loss around. Gaming or immersive apps didn’t suit me. I prefer to plug into music or podcasts while I ride on the turbo. It suits my busy work/childcare lifestyle to a T.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Smart turbo and Zwift - I seem to be upgrading my 'screens' at present - ebay bargains.

PS it's a supplement, not a replacement for real miles - I don't ride road any more (too many drivers breaking key bones).

OP
OP
The happy cyclist
Welcome:welcome:

Turbo miles are the epitome of junk miles, unless you are doing specific targeted drills ( one leg, HIIT ) and so on and so forth. They can be very useful training aids, or they can be used for just meaningless junk plodding ( non training plan Zwift etc.) Actually, due to the fact that on ( most ) turbos, the bike doesn't move about in a ‘natural’ way, and you don’t have braking / cornering forces, purely using a turbo trainer, with no actual road riding, is counter productive in the long run. Using it as a supplement is better.
Great points there thanks! I’ve no intention of using turbo trainer if I can get out on the road but if/when I do use one it will more than likely be the kinetic rock n roll but I will be sticking to a planned training

OP
OP
The happy cyclist
Back in my running days I was milling round with the other runners before the start of a half marathon. Someone in charge started announcing "athletes this way". I thought that there was maybe a separate start for the athletes, and then the rest of us losers would be set off. It didn't occur to me that someone could possibly be including me as an athlete. Eventually when it seemed everyone else was following the official I tagged along.
As long as you do any sort of exercise I’ll call you an athlete! Athletes come in all shapes and sizes look at Tyson fury :boxing:

Top Bottom