Hello fellow cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

One man and a dog

I am 54 years of age and have a dog called Max. We have twice been touring in Scotland on a Harry v Larry Bluebird Bullet and love it. Going again this year to the Outer Hebrides and any tips would be gladly received. Ferry tips. Places to wild camp tips. Good shop tips. Thanks.

RiflemanSmith

Hello and welcome;)

Hi & welcome.

The outer Hebrides are a stunning place to go to, even better if you are lucky with the weather!
free camping tip - Bhaltos on the Isle of Lewis. carry on passed the campsite that is there, until you get to a seriously sharp right hand bend almost at the foot of the hills (and if you think you have not gone far enough, you have not) and head off towards the beach there (there is a grass area car parking or at least was last time I was there, and a track leading to the beach - I was last there in 2007 but have been several times over the last 25 years). There are picnic benches, stand pipes and you can camp at the other end of the beach to the campsite, right away from it all and no-one will bat an eye-lid over you walking down the beach and using the campsite toilets....

The orange blob is my tent, last time I was there. If you like flora, you will love the machair when it is full flower. pitching a tent does become more interesting though simply trying to avoid putting it on orchids becomes difficult but it is a fantastic time of year to go there.

Click on the pictures for a bigger image.

img_8749_8750_1_800.jpg img_8732_800.jpg

Best wishes and hope you enjoy yourself.

OP
OP
One man and a dog

One man and a dog

hi max!

...cycle chat dogs get extra goodies from owners...be sure to make sure he gives you yours.
He is crafty so when cooking steak I need to keep an eye on him. He likes to grip the edge of the steak packet with the edge of his teeth and pull it onto the floor. Hey! Look dad! It is on the floor. Should I eat it for you now? Cheeky mutt.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
Hi and hello, I'm a huge fan of the Larry v Harry bikes:bravo: ,
I'm saving up for one, may take me a few years though :sad:

Alberto

Thanks for posting the link Jim ;)

We're just back from a very sunny trip to the Outer Hebrides and will be posting more details soon. It really was great, the weather made a difference I know, but cannot recommend it high enough.

Regarding ferries, if travelling South to North (or viceversa) there's only 4 ferry crossings. The long ones (mainland-Barra and Stornaway-mainland) aren't as frequent, but the other two are. Very easy and good value from Calmac.

There's pretty much unlimited options for wild camping, although I can see how some places may get a bit busy in the summer. Some spots have access to toilet facilities, so it's even easier. We will post some ideas on our reports.

Regarding shops, you won't go far finding a local shop or a co-op, except on the leg Tarbert (Harris) to Stornaway (Lewis). It really amazes me how well stocked those islands are, with plenty of fresh veggies. Prices aren't worse than in the SE, despite being so "remote".

Any questions please ask, and have a look at our blog every now and then for updates ;)

http://machacasonwheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Top Bottom