hello from a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
You are now:biggrin: Of course it's possible that I've mixed you with someone else, but what is the bike you're on in the Cyclogs photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Phoebus

Flowergirl, you do know if you choose the path of the 'fixed' you'll get instant street cred from all the lads around your area. You'll be known as the 'cool fixie chick'. ;)

U

User169

bonj said:
Nope, nope -they're dying out. They had their heyday on wartime bikes and in the sixties, but now they're like steam trains - mainly for pure nostalgia value. Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia, but that's what they are at the end of the day, and that's the only reason they won't die out completely because people like nostalgia.

Utter cobblers.

I pass probably a couple of hundred cycle commuters every day. In excess of 95% of them use hub gears and derailleurs are really quite unusual.

The reasons for the popularity of hub gears have already been pointed out and have nothing to do with nostalgia.

bonj2

yeah well holland's flat, you shouldn't even need gears in holland. All the commuters you pass probably don't even bother changing gear. Are you sure these commuters you see even know their bikes have got gears?
In fact I saw a newspaper article recently about the dutch town where they'd removed all the traffic lights to increase road safety and there was a picture of a typical dutch commuter bike being ridden by a woman who actually looked to be asleep.

You should try one Bonj. They're really very good.

my mum used to have a bike with hub gears, and it was an absolute abortionate shitter, and it eventually broke i think.

Keith Oates said:
You are now:biggrin: Of course it's possible that I've mixed you with someone else, but what is the bike you're on in the Cyclogs photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah.....
That was Baggy's old sturdy commuter, long since sold. It certainly didn't have a Rohloff!

If you'll excuse me chaps, shall I start a thread about hub gears? Otherwise poor Flowergirl is going to think we're a right bunch of rude brawlers.

snorri

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
Otherwise poor Flowergirl is going to think we're a right bunch of rude brawlers.

I am quite sure Flowergirl has spotted the guy swimming against the tide of progress. There are some people (I'm speaking about you bonj) who see virtue in lubricating, cleaning and replacing components with monotonous regularity. ;)

Top Bottom