Hello from an injured cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Hello

Hello ajc.Don't worry about the knee .I had two arthroscopy's on the same knee done by the same surgeon.He had seen a small tear but left it .Work stress opened it wider.A snip here a snip there smooth as a billiard ball now.Knee flushed out all bit's were floating around after year's of playing sundat league football.Apart from a bit of arthritis no trouble at all .At 57 the knee is stronger now than twenty years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh.. no details..... please...... from a knee free zone.. and I protect them like the crown jewels.....

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

Hi all, thanks for asking !
Well the good news is that the cartilage is fine but he had a good clean of the knee anyway and I've got a DVD to prove it !
However, I'm sort of concerned that it won't have fixed my problem, although I won't be able to check it for a week or so.
I am bothered by the fact that the MRI scan supposedly showed a tear and it wasnt there when he went in, this is at a private clinic too.
I go back to see him on the 17th.
I'm not sure how to approach this now when I see him, I think I want a few answers, however, him being a consultant I'm sure he'll be able to rattle off a number of excuses..........and I'm still no nearer getting back on my bike.....its almost 6 months :biggrin:

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

Oh and another thing, I've just taken the bandages off, my knee is HUGE !!! and I can't bend it, I reckon it'll be another week before I can drive, daren't think about cycling.
I'm supposed to be off work for at least a wek but I'm so bored sitting around that I've started working from home, how sad is that !

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

and thanks for your positive message postman, I'm 43 so I hope this year is just a blip on what should be a grand few years of sportives and challenging rides :biggrin:

ash68

Hi ajc just read your thread about your knee probs.Bit of a bummer all that time off. Could have been worse though its been a poor summer weather wise. How's things going,we need an update?:smile:

cyclebum

Hi ajc,
sorry to hear about the knee, frightning thought to a newbie like me especially as I felt a twinge in my right knee the other day. :smile:
When it comes to the doc though, you ask those questions and don't give up until you get the answers, it's your knee after all not his/hers. Remember you can alsways refuse to pay his bill until you are satisfied you have been given all the facts, and treatment. I always remember a friend of mine telling a consultant 'Doctors always think they are God but I know they're not' :ohmy:

OP
OP
ajc

ajc

I went to see my consultant last night, he has explained what he did (cleared some growth out from under my tendon), and has now referred me back to my physio for more treatment.
On the plus side my knee feels much better and I hope that its sorted me out. I'm aiming to have a bike ride on saturday morning, just 10 miles or so, but it will be 10 more than I've done in months.
Its been a horrible problem which has ruined my cycling through summer and my waistline has expanded ! ;)(
I'm hoping for a good winter to build my fitness up again. ;)
I'm aiming at Paris -Roubaix in April and LeJog in May 2008
Not quite out of the woods but I think I see some daylight !

Top Bottom