Hello from Cheshire!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
New person alert!
Decided to make a proper effort to give up smoking and stay off it, so got a cheap Trek mountain bike from eBay, did a few short journeys on it then started getting the bug. I like the Trek, have ridden newer ones and like the build quality, but I struggled with no suspension during very mild offroad use. Plans are afoot to knock a front suspenion bike up with disc brakes for the occasional foray off road, more of that in the future.

Anyhow after the short use of said Trek I decided to try a road bike and got a second hand Giant Defy 2 which I'm really, really happy with. Did about 125 miles (in total) last week on it which isn't much but when you're overweight, asthmatic and a former smoker it's like the Tour De France! Best ride was just under 32 miles, pretty much non-stop. Great looking forum you have here, thanks and regards.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hi and welcome to the fourum

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Another ex-smoker here and well done:hello:
I'm just over the boarder in Wrexham and know how good the Cheshire cycle system can be as I'm often over your side of the boarder taking advantage.

The legs will get used to the big journeys and the lungs will get better, enjoy the rides :smile:

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Thanks folks. Had another bash at mountain biking today with a quick (40 minute) spin round bits of Delamere Forest on the bike in my avatar. Dog and trailer didn't go, which was just as well because uphill work on a cheap, all suspension bike is a bl**dy nightmare! I'm going to try and knock up a front suspension, full sized bike with disc brakes and work on a few gentle-ish hills I think. I'm reasonable on the road bike (on the road of course!) because it's so light and the gearing is brilliant.
Getting off the smokes has been a God send and the more I ride the less I want to smoke, although the cravings aren't even once a week now which is great.
Thanks once again,. this is a great forum you have here.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome from the other side of the border in wet,wet Manchester ! Delamre trails are great plus they have a good cafe......it's the law when cycling ! Keep at it and feel free to ask,share or whatever on here

Chris Myers

Another ex-smoker here and well done:hello:
I'm just over the boarder in Wrexham and know how good the Cheshire cycle system can be as I'm often over your side of the boarder taking advantage.

The legs will get used to the big journeys and the lungs will get better, enjoy the rides :smile:

I too am in Wrexham,Cheshire is probably my favorite ride outs :-)