Hello from Cornwall!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BasilWhite

Hi all, just signed up and saying hello ;)

I'm getting back to cycling after a LONG break.Haven't bought a new bike yet (want a Triban 3 when they have stock but also saving up so it's probably next year!) so like a lot of people dragged my old bike out of the garage and I'm working on fixing it up. It's an old Raleigh/BSA road bike with drop bars from 1985 that I used to ride as a teenager, did hundreds of miles on that bike but sadly it's not looking so good these days. the cranks are more rust than metal. Anyway that's for the other forum, look forward to 'meeting' you on the forums :smile:

phillc

Veteran
Hello Basil and a warm welcome to CC.

phill

OP
OP
BasilWhite

BasilWhite

Aah thanks, so pleased I stopped lurking and signed up here :thumbsup: Hopefully one day I can start helping people here, based on my current knowledge that's quite a way off yet but you never know.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :cheers:

Part of me really wants to try cycling in cornwall, but part of me thinks those little lanes would be suicidal, especially in tourist season. :eek:

OP
OP
BasilWhite

BasilWhite

they aint too bad!! lol. some lovely roads round here but i think its more hills than anything!!

OP what part of cornwall are you in?

North, a few miles inland from Bude. Yes the hills would kill you before the traffic, mostly tractors and you can hear them coming :biggrin: There's some good (and flat) off road trails within a half hour drive if you like MTB's although some sections are fine for road bikes. My plan is go straight out the front door and ride or I'll make every excuse to not bother. So doing up the old road bike for winter and then hopefully a nice new bike next spring when I can ride a mile without anything hurting. And fixing up an old bike will give me some skills for looking after the new one.

Ah Cornwall and Newquay my favourite places from my much younger years.

Spent many happy times in the Green Parrot in Perranporth and the Sailors arms in Newquay.

Yes I remember the Sailors for mostly the right reasons! :cheers: Was down in Newquay last week, not much different to when we first moved down here 15 years ago, except everyone looks a lot younger. :laugh:

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Spent most of the summer of 1974 in Newquay (dear God was it that long ago) great nights in the Sailors Arms and often a good crowd on the beach with booze and a bonfire after the pub closed, old bill were cool with it.

Never been back to Newquay since as it would choke me up with the great memories of great times that due to age I can never repeat.

Top Bottom