Hello from cumbria, any club riders?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian 74

Hello it is a great to be here, talking all things cycling.

I picked up my first road bike in 2007 and used it to commute the 11 miles from wigton to carlisle, I had strappy pedals and thought that I was hard core. In 2009 I attempted the Cumberland challenge and huffed and puffed half way round the course up Hartside 5 hrs later I couldn't feel my bum and basically fell off my bike.

Promptly went out and bought myself some proper pedals and shoes. After falling off the bike again a few more times I was up and spinning, dabbling with triathlons and such. Two years in I have come to realize that cycling is where my heart is so running and swimming have pretty much not figured this year (unless you count taking part in the odd random triathlon, its all good fun don't you know). Anyway my first Sportive since my failed 2009 exploits is coming up in september and this time I have a good few miles and a good few proper hills under my belt ... Bring it on.

So the next thing I should do is get my self down to one of the local clubs and check out group riding, hey its sunday morning... Maybe next week.
Anybody club cycle in north cumbria? whats the crack?

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
huffed and puffed half way round the course up Hartside

Now there's a hill to practise on! was there two weeks ago at the cafe watching a cyclist climbing up was amazed to see him turn round and go straight back down, we finished our coffee set off down and there he was at the bottom doing it again...total respect...

:welcome: to the forum Ian74

OP
OP
Ian 74

Ian 74

I was there on the 5th Aug dressed in red.

I rode from penrith with the idea of meeting my wife

(in her car, see cry's if a hill is to hilly on the her bike)

for a coffee at the top.

It was 3 years after my first meeting with Mr. Hartside and it was a much more enjoyable with a few more miles under my bum.

I got to the top and due to oxygen deprivation promptly put my phone down and wandered off.
Luckily some kind soul handed it in at the cafe.

Thanks for the welcome
smile.gif

Attachments

• 198779_10150279357604074_852979073_7549957_4218049_n.JPG
    198779_10150279357604074_852979073_7549957_4218049_n.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 36
A few years ago did Hartside with the snow piled either side of the road, even the cafe was shut, did it in March this year and had to pedal like mad to get down to Alston but I have both rode and walked up to it on great days and thats what keeps me going back to it. I am not a member of the cycling club's but the Border Wheelers often scalp me when they are on a run

OP
OP
Ian 74

Ian 74

Thanks Cush,

I'll have to check the BCW's out. My main excuse for not going along is family commitments. I am getting around this by slowly but surely turning my wife into a keen cyclist.

Seigi

Welcome, ah, from Wigton, I cycle there frequently as my partner lives there (although I take the backroads: Dalston - Cardew - near Curthwaite - Rosley etc.), it's a nice ride, shame my partner has a personal vendetta (along with her mother) against bikes on roads however. Not sure about the status of clubs as I'm not a part of one yet, but the ones I know of are - Eden Valley CTC (Seem more toury) and Border City Wheelers (seem more racey).

OP
OP
Ian 74

Ian 74

Hi Seigi, we really are spoiled with plenty of good riding up or neck of the woods, I think this is why I have put off going to a club for so long. Maybe it was watching the tour this year that has put group riding in my head. What have your girl friend and her mother got against cyclists? I think I'll try BCW this Sunday, if I am not decisive I'll never go.
I'm full of excuses like "Sundays are for family", etc. 9/10 times I go for a ride anyway. I'll just make sunday lunch when I get back and let her in doors go out for a spin whilst I cook.
thumbsup.png

Seigi

I'm not really sure, part of me thinks it's jealousy because they can't ride a bike, my partner fell down a cattle grid (LOL, I shouldn't laugh, but it was funny) when she first started to learn about 2 years ago and has been afraid to touch one since, I tried to get her back into it again recently and she feigned enjoying it (apparently, but I believe she's just too lazy), her mother is probably the same really, she's pretty lazy (in the sense that she won't do anything active, she works and commutes to Manchester, Hexham and Whitehaven, but won't do anything that involves exercise).

I've been putting off group riding for a while, partly due to the fact that a lot of groups I see seem to consist mostly of older folks (I'm 19), and fear I wont fit in, but also in case I make a fool of myself by not being able to keep up (Only been cycling properly for about 3 months or so).

OP
OP
Ian 74

Ian 74

I'm not really sure, part of me thinks it's jealousy because they can't ride a bike, my partner fell down a cattle grid (LOL, I shouldn't laugh, but it was funny) when she first started to learn about 2 years ago and has been afraid to touch one since, I tried to get her back into it again recently and she feigned enjoying it (apparently, but I believe she's just too lazy), her mother is probably the same really, she's pretty lazy (in the sense that she won't do anything active, she works and commutes to Manchester, Hexham and Whitehaven, but won't do anything that involves exercise).

I've been putting off group riding for a while, partly due to the fact that a lot of groups I see seem to consist mostly of older folks (I'm 19), and fear I wont fit in, but also in case I make a fool of myself by not being able to keep up (Only been cycling properly for about 3 months or so).

Cattle grids can be funny (in a shouldn't laugh way) I saw someone fall in one on the run leg of a triathlon once. Tragic. Then there was all the effort and pain I went through trying to get my daughter to cycle over one for the first time. She is a stubborn bugger.

As for the club riding thing I guess I am one of the older folks (37) I am not sure if I will fit in or keep up! But I think that is the same with most new group situations that we put ourselves through... We will see how it goes.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Thanks Cush,

I am getting around this by slowly but surely turning my wife into a keen cyclist.

Good move. Just saying to my OH the other day I'm always amazed to see chaps out on the bikes with the lady in tow, the guys are usually always kitted out with all the right lycra, helmet, glasses etc, while most the ladies are in unpadded shorts and gymshoes! "like me", he said lol....

My advise buy her some nice biking gear too so she feels the part

OP
OP
Ian 74

Ian 74

P270311_16.26.jpg [attachment=4806:P270311_16.26.jpg]
[attachment=4806:P270311_16.26.jpg]Good move. Just saying to my OH the other day I'm always amazed to see chaps out on the bikes with the lady in tow, the guys are usually always kitted out with all the right lycra, helmet, glasses etc, while most the ladies are in unpadded shorts and gymshoes! "like me", he said lol....

My advise buy her some nice biking gear too so she feels the part

My OH has gone for it big style she's lost a stone or so. Pretty much went straight onto clip in pedals (took me 3 yrs),
and colour coordinated her cycling gear to match her bike.

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi Ian74
:welcome: to the forum...and congrats in getting the OH into cycling am trying to do the same but not gettting very far i got her to do the c2c last july and i think it has put her off.. :laugh:

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4680.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

Top Bottom