Hello from Essex/Greater London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hulk_slogan

Hi all, names Paul, 25 from Essex, decided to join a bike forum as I am in need of technical help, but also a good place for all things biking.

I havn't ridden a bike much at all in the last 10 years, and lately my work life has taken turns for the worse with my hours being reduced to a measly 12 per week!! So 1, I need something to do in between job hunting, 2, I need to get more active and increase my fitness (its shocking), and 3, it needs to be free or very cheap!

So, popped down the shed and dug out my mums old Diamond Back outlook MTB which a friend gave to her who brought it with her from Australia. Mum then gave the Diamond Back to me when my Apollo was stolen off the streets some 12ish years ago :/ The bike must be around 15+ years old, its a hardtail, no front suspension, very old looking shimano gears which, sort of work, and what I believe to be cantilever style brakes.

I intend to over the next year, fix myself and this bike up to a standard which will allow me to ride from London to Brighton as part of the charity rides!

If theres a place on the forum, like a general chat or somewhere that I can create and keep a 'build thread' of sorts, that would be awesome. I'll make another post with more info about me, the bike and so far how horribly wrong all of my basic fixes have been in attempts to make it safe and roadworthy haha. I'll explain more about why I want to use this bike instead of a new one (and preferably fix it all myself or for as cheap as possible), and why I intend to use it to ride for charities!

Bit of a long post, so thanks for reading! I'm a bit of a forum junkie and tend to have millions of things to talk about haha.

MattE72

Hi Paul. Welcome.

I've found this forum very helpful after getting back on a bike after 10+ years, I'm sure you will to.

Matt

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi and welcome Paul I for one can understand where you are coming from plus getting your own bike how you want it is quite a satisfing thing to do,so good luck on that and you will find all the help you should need on here.

OP
OP
Hulk_slogan

Hulk_slogan

Thanks peoples :smile:
Ah that was my first change, picked a couple of 26" road tyres up from decathlon for £20 and a couple of new inner tubes. 26 x 1.50 i believe. I'm not expecting top quality, but they will do nicely while I fix the rest of the bike :smile:

Managed to fit the tyres ok, took it for a quick ride and off came my pedal and crank!! Few important to do's before the next test ride haha.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: Paul!
It sounds you got it sorted ... pedals apart :laugh:
Looking forward to read about the next stage of the rebuild.

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome:

Top Bottom