Hello from Kendal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Hi all,

I'm completely new to cycling only been out once on a road bike bought from a catalogue(I know, I could've got better elsewhere). I managed about 10 miles with a few stops and starts and had to call my daughter to pick me up about a mile from home, had absolutely nothing left. I probably bit off more than I could chew.

I have depression and anxiety problems and I think what I'm finding most off putting is the worry of having an accident. I realise cycling will probably help me with these issues but how bad is it out there really? I've just been reading a cycling magazine which had an article about a rider being killed and a letter about somebody who had two serious accidents.

I really enjoyed my day out on the bike yesterday but these nagging worries are taking the edge off my fun.

Sorry if this is a bit depressing but I just wondered if somebody with more experience could help at all.

Paul

Klis

Hey Paul,

I too suffer from anxiety, and used to struggle with going out, but not so much because I was afraid of an accident, more to do with the constant fear of people judging me lol.

I think in your case, however, you need to be a little more confident. I find that if you take the cycling on the road seriously (i.e. not weaving in and out of traffic with no hands and doing wheelies), then generally drivers respect that you are there and give you a wide birth.
I only scream like a little girl when a bus or HGV passes me and only provides a whisker of room - Fortunately I've never had a life threatening encounter with a motorized beast (touch wood)

No need to dress yourself up like a Christmas tree either – But be safe and take the necessary precautions.

Also, if you start feeling queasy/ faintish, then pull over onto the pavement/ grass and collapse there rather than in the road hehe :tongue:

Welcome to the forums :smile:

joggingbob

Welcome Paul.

Please also remember that all the millions of safe cycle trips are not newsworthy and generally not mentioned. Reading an article on an accident is fine when read in perspective. When considering the probability when taking into account all the safe journeys made, an accident is very very very low.

As you know exercise is a good response to dealing with anxiety and depression so try and look on the positives. Well done for getting on the bike, 10 miles for a first ride is a long way and probably too far. Little and often with rest days is the key and then gradually build up the distance and confidence.

Good luck.

colly

Re member eR
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum.

Having an accident is a worry for any rider but to be honest it isn't something to lose sleep over, as has been stated it's an outside risk so long as you are sensible.

The point about being confident is so true. Don't ever ride 'in the gutter', set your position out from the kerb and stick to it . I usually ride about 750mm out give or take a bit depending on the road. Cars may have to make a point of going around you but at least they will have seen you.
If you cling to the inside you will have the roughest section of road to ride on and also you will have no room to manouver if need be.
Easy to say I suppose but it does actually make things a lot safer.

If you are new to your bike and cycling then maybe some rides on very quiet roads or even tracks might help until you get used to your bike and confident with everything.

Cycling is a fantastic stress reliever so I hope you can stick with it.

good luck.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Wow!

Thanks for the replies, you're all too kind. I posted and then kinda wished I hadn't. Klis, I too am very worried about being in a crowd or even meeting strangers for fear of being judged and not knowing what to say. However I did say hello to a few cyclists yesterday.

Thanks colly too for the advice about where to ride in the road, I was tucked in a bit yesterday and went over all kinds of rough terrain.
I ache in the shoulders, neck, wrists and abs today but am going out tomorrow whatever.

Nice to be here.

Paul

Michiel

Welcome Paul,

I've always found that cycling helped with my depression, I always feel a lot better after a ride.

As for cycling a lot depends where you are, if there are any cycle routes near you that are away from the main roads? I, for a long time tended to stay to canal paths and cycle routes only lately have been converting more to road rides but so far never really had a problem with cars,

And yes, aches and pains are part of the process I guess, they'll disappear in time, just stick with it.

And above all, good luck and enjoy your rides!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
:welcome:

I'm another one with depression and anxiety - it's one of the reasons I sold my car and bought the bike instead (panic attack at 60mph = not good!).

On two wheels, I feel in control. If, for whatever reason, I lose that control, then I can get off and walk or sit on the verge, out of everyone's way.

For me, cycling has made a huge and positive difference to my life. It's given me independence, fitness and freedom. Walking or driving downhill mean nothing. Cycling downhill, however ... now that's a reason to get out in the fresh air and make my legs cry for a few miles! :biggrin:

I also find that cycling is a great metaphor for life and depression. Getting up hill is a classic example, but so is going out on the road. Nothing in life is risk free, but you can learn the skills to manage potentially difficult situations - and get through them - rather than avoiding them altogether.

Take control of your worries:

Find somewhere quiet to cycle to build up your confidence with the gears, brakes and getting up some speed. Take it slowly until you've built up your fitness - better to do a few miles each day than a long trek once a week.

As has already been said, get some hi viz gear, comfortable shorts, etc etc. Whatever you can put on to make yourself feel more confident.

Do some reading and ask questions. Learn about primary and secondary riding positions on the road, refresh your knowledge of the highway code. Watch other cyclists: learn from their example and avoid their mistakes.

Get to know some routes so that they become home turf.

Stop reading about accidents and start reading about people having FUN.

Smile and tell yourself that you CAN do it.

Remember that anxiety and fear are useful in appropriate situations but only in moderation. Use them to make you safer but don't let them ruin what should be a good time.

*shuts up now*

E11a

Welcome, Paul. So jealous ... I love Kendal.

I don't have depression or anxiety but cycling definitely makes me feel happier and gets rid of the stresses of the day!

There will always be accidents but when you think about how many people are out cycling, the percentage of people involved in them must be pretty small.

10 miles is not a bad start at all. I know people who've gone home after 4 miles. Just build things up at your own pace and don't worry about what other people think. Don't be offended if you say "hello" and don't get a reply; there are plenty of threads about that! The main thing is to get out and enjoy yourself. Your confidence and fitness will come automatically after that.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Hi all

I'm overwhelmed at the number of nice people on this site. Thank you all.

Can I just clear up a point that was made about riding a little everyday? Am I better to do a few miles everyday or better off just doing every other day until I get used to exercise? I'm overweight and short on puff.

Thanks

Paul

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can I just clear up a point that was made about riding a little everyday? Am I better to do a few miles everyday or better off just doing every other day until I get used to exercise? I'm overweight and short on puff.
Hi Paul!

Muscles get stronger by adapting to the increased demands put on them, but that change happens during recovery from the exercise which doesn't happen instantly. I think that you are better pushing yourself a bit harder every other day and then recovering on the days in between. If you don't do that, you would have to do easier rides each day to stop yourself becoming more and more tired as the days went by.

If you do lots of easy rides, you basically get used to doing lots of easy rides. If you want to get fitter faster, I reckon alternating is the best bet early on.

I know a lot of experienced cyclists who commute by bike and the keen ones do it every day so they are doing 10 rides during the working week, and they sometimes ride at the weekends too. A mate of mine used to do that, He was very fit, but he was often too tired to do much at the weekends.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Hi all

just returned from 3 laps of the village(6 miles) with some hills. Feel fantastic, confidence through the roof. Thanks for all your support.

Thanks Coiln for that insight. I shall do every other day for the moment and maybe build up into 2 on 1 off.

Can't wait until Friday.

Paul :hello:

Top Bottom