Hello from LA with a question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tedydim

Hi Guys,

I am happy to find a good cycling forum. :smile: I am somewhat new to cycling but enjoy it so much that in the last few months has moved forwad by 2 hours my morning wake up time.

I am in the buying stage for a new road bike. I have mostly done MB until now. So here is my dillema:

- Felt Z85 2010 for $1000 - dual cranck set - 105 components - weights about 20lbs -- 51 frame
http://www.feltbicyc...Series/Z85.aspx

- Scattante women's 300 for about $650 -- tripple cranck set -- sora components -- weight about 22.5 lbs -- 51 frame http://www.performan...0551_1089885_-1

I understand that the Felt is a better brand, has better components and is slightly lighter. However I am trying to see if the benefits are really worth the additional $350.
I will be using this bike to ride around, train, and do some triathlons.

What do you think? Also if you have aditional bike suggestions I would be happy to hear them as well.

Two dead links there Tedydim. In general, if you have a fair plan of what you want to do, then the extra money is worth it! Got to a store and pick up some ingredients - sugar, flour etc and see how much 2 1/2lbs weight, and think of lugging that around a triathlon. OK for training though!

Welcome to the forum, have fun!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome. The first and most important thing to do is something you've already done.

Be in the USA. Components and bikes are so much cheaper out there. Make sure your 'two hours earlier' doesn't become 5, otherwise you'll be paying $1,325 USD for the Felt, and Godknowswhat for the accessories.

bauldbairn

Thank you. The weight comparison was pretty good. :smile:
Sorry for the dead links. These should work better:

Felt z85

Scattante 330 (womens)

:welcome: :bicycle:

Firstly tedydim, hello and welcome to the CC forums. :smile:

I believe the Scattante was originally $1000 and now has $350 off(@$650) - so they should both be similarilly spec'd bikes.
I feel the Felt has the edge in all departments - components/style/looks etc. It depends how much you want to save $350.

I can't help think that if you bought the "330" you would spend all your time on it wishing you had got the Felt z85.

Good luck with whatever you choose - keep us(CCers) updated. :thumbsup:

p.s. maybe you would get more response to you question in "Beginners and Riding" or in the "Cafe'" sections? ;)

OP
OP
tedydim

tedydim

Hi.
I think I am going with the Felt. I will test ride it this weekend and will probably buy it. Will update here. :smile:
Thanks for all of the advise. It defenitelly has been very helpful... and from what I hear... now I am more happy about living in the US compared to before. :smile:

bauldbairn

Hi.
I think I am going with the Felt. I will test ride it this weekend and will probably buy it. Will update here. :smile:
Thanks for all of the advise. It defenitelly has been very helpful... and from what I hear... now I am more happy about living in the US compared to before. :smile:

Good choice tedydim - just make sure you get the right size. B) - :thumbsup:

.......we will require pics and your views when you finally get your new steed!!!!! :smile: - ;)

gavintc

Guru
Hi Guys,
I did go with the Felt. I got it this weekend. And totally LOVE it. :smile: Will post a picture soon.

Just arrived late at this discussion. I think you made the correct decision. The Felt is a lovely bike and will last you much longer. Enjoy your cycling and welcome to CC.

Top Bottom