Hello from me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone

I've just signed up to CycleChat, having just taken up cycling :smile:

I've been running for a couple of years and ran my first marathon back in April. I then picked up Achilles Tendinitis, so am off running.

My physio suggested cycling, so here I am! I'm hoping to retain some of the running fitness while I get over the Achilles, and hope that this new found enthusiasm for cycling may open up the world of duathlons and maybe triathlons to me.

I have borrowed a 10 year old mountain bike off my sister, a Raleigh Gritstone, which I've now put a few miles on, and will buy something a bit more proper in due course.

I'm hoping to pick up some tips on this cycling lark, and probably after some advice on kit at some point!

Nihal

Veteran
Hello and :welcome: Mr.Gruff Eddie.But be careful,some people here are nuts very sane:whistle: .Hope you enjoy cycling.And sorry to hear abot that Achilles,hope it get better:smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Very sensible move; cycling will build up similar fitness to running but at no cost to your joints and tendons. I predict that within two months you'll be back on here asking "what bike?"

Have a look at Decathlon's BTwin bikes if you fancy something entry-level that won't break the bank, the quality is first class.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome !!
1st upgrade for the sisters bike assuming your riding on road is to get some slick tyres, makes it a lot easier !!.
Scwhable city jets are a good budget tyre .

Berties

Fast and careful!
Welcome along to cycle chat ,I did the same running played up knees so took out my mountain bike,recommended by physio,then got a road bike then a race bike cant stop now,

OP
OP
Gruff Eddie

Gruff Eddie

Regular
Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome!
I predict that within two months you'll be back on here asking "what bike?"

Funny you say that - I'm already looking at new bikes - torn between a hard tail and a rigid hybrid, or a road bike. It's going to be a tough decision!

1st upgrade for the sisters bike assuming your riding on road is to get some slick tyres, makes it a lot easier !!. Scwhable city jets are a good budget tyre .

Thanks for the advice - I put a set of City Jets on my wifes mountain bike. She's just got a road bike, so I might put the original nobblies back on her old bike and nick the slicks.

I'm already looking at new bikes - torn between a hard tail and a rigid hybrid, or a road bike. It's going to be a tough decision!
Don't compromise by choosing one bike to do everything. Go for the type of bike you are most likely to use a lot. A nice CF road bike or a decent hardtail/full suss'. When you have had that for a few months then you can get another bike(s) for the other cycling you do!

dandare

Hi there, thought I recognised that name from the running forum so welcome. Just been reading about your first off, looks a bit sore. Generally speaking that is one thing you don't have to worry about when running but you are lucky not to hit the deck sometimes when cycling.
At the moment my new found interest in running is taking a back seat because of a calf injury. Funny how cycling for well over 40 years has not caused any injuries ( apart from crashes).
Hope you get that new bike sorted out and begin to enjoy all the fun and freedom that cycling brings.

Top Bottom