Hello from North London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shoelaces

Greetings one and all,

I've been commuting a 20 mile round trip in north London for the past couple of years. Which has been... interesting. On a road bike I refurbished.
I'm really starting to get into doing longer routes, for fun, in a purely amature way. Particularly after completing the IoW Randonnee and Dunwich Dynamo (the sunrise was worth it).

I'm joining in the hope that people can give some advice on routes and perhaps on gear. And, I might be able to help out too.

So, my first question is... how is cycling the A4 from London to Somerset? I'm pondering doing this in a couple of weeks time, as I'm originally from there and haven't been back in a long time.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Greetings one and all,

I've been commuting a 20 mile round trip in north London for the past couple of years. Which has been... interesting. On a road bike I refurbished.
I'm really starting to get into doing longer routes, for fun, in a purely amature way. Particularly after completing the IoW Randonnee and Dunwich Dynamo (the sunrise was worth it).

I'm joining in the hope that people can give some advice on routes and perhaps on gear. And, I might be able to help out too.

So, my first question is... how is cycling the A4 from London to Somerset? I'm pondering doing this in a couple of weeks time, as I'm originally from there and haven't been back in a long time.
in answer to your question..........not bad. The bit past Heathrow, which you would think would be awful is really quite nice - and you get to see the planes. I would suggest getting off the A4 at junction 5 of the M4, and going through Datchet, Windsor, Paley Street, Twyford, Sonning and Caversham, which makes for a nice ride. The tarmac between Theale and Newbury is horrible, but I've got no alternatives for that. There's a steep hill going down in to Marlborough, which requires care. The road through West Wilts is surprisingly empty.

And welcome!

Check out the "Sunday London Ride" thread in Informal Rides and Events. We start from Hyde Park Corner at 9.30 on a Sunday, conversational pace an cafe stops, typically about 30 miles I guess but it depends on how far from HPC you live. Some of us also do laps of regents/richmond park after work on a fairly ad hoc basis - check out the thread for that too!

Oh and welcome. :hello:

OP
OP
shoelaces

shoelaces

Thanks dellzegg, I've driven the route from Reading to Somerset many times so know that part well. But, have never cycled that way out of London I shall have a look at the Datchet route.

And thank you Becs! I shall keep my eye on that thread.

The London Massive bimble down to Stonehenge from time to time...depends who fancies being sacrificed. Somerset is a nice target for a ride out of town - there are bound to be nutters who will keep you company!
Welcome to the forum shoelaces...just don't get knotted! :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Shoelaces. If you liked the Dunwich then have a look at the friday night rides to the coast(fnrrtc) on the forum. They start from Hyde Pk. Corner.

Top Bottom