Hello from Staines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

Hi.
A little about me.
Ive just reached to ripe old age of 40 and im fiiter now than i was 20 yrs ago, maybe to do with the fact ive been riding daily for the last 6 months and lost 4 stone.
When i started riding i could just make it to work which is 3.4 miles and now i ride the long way around which is 10.5 miles but in that i stop off at my gym for an hour.
I currently own a Cannondale MTB which i never touch because im always on my £60 secondhand saracen which i love, i love road riding so much ive just sold my BMW which leaves me car less for the first time in 23 yrs, to devote my time to cycling and so i can buy a decent bike, which in March im buying a full carbon and i have about a £2.5-£3k budget.
A few weeks ago i came up with a silly idea of trying to ride 55 miles, but in my mind i thought id fail seeing that ive only ever done 15 miles a day and that was split before and after work, but to my surprise i made it and in not bad time (3h 15 mins) stopping once, and since then thats it im hooked and ive now booked a few 90-100 mile rides through evans and wiggle.
Well thats enough about me, im sure ill be asking loads of questions over a short amount of time.

thx for reading.

Andy

mark st1

Plastic Manc
:welcome: buddy nice to meet you. Im in the same boat as you just sold my car we are now a 1 car family lol. A few of us meet up most weekends in the Slough Windsor area for a casual ride out and coffee if you fancy it one weekend your more than welcome :thumbsup:

Congrats on the weight loss thats a brilliant amount to lose. And before you get bogged down with suggestions of how to spend your cash on a carbon bike specialized tarmac sl4 has to be on your list ;)

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Hi Mark, i might just take you up on that ride.
The long ride i done was from Staines-Datchet-Windsor-Maidenhead-Reading-Wokingham-Bracknell-Ascot-Windsor-Staines.
The ride back through the great park was lovely.
Ive looked at the Spec, and im looking at the Willier and the Lapierre as well as the Trek Damone.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Feel free mate plenty of batnter we usually stick around the Windsor Maidenhead ish areas allways looking for new routes so let us know when your free usually about 9am on a Saturday weather dependant. As for your bike choice you will find everyone on here will tell you a different pro and con about anything you choose lol. Expect to have your mind changed a few times before you finally decide.

Comfort and reliablility above look and cost for me so hope you get to try a few out before parting with your cash.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The Lapierre I find uninspiring, the Willer is a good bike, nearly brought one myself. Personally I would not advise buying anything till you have ridden the Specialized Tarmac or Roubaix SL4 which are amazing bikes.

Welcome to the forum

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Thats for the replies chaps.
@V, thx and it seems that way.
Ive only ever heard good things about Specialized bikes and i like the set up of the Roubaix comp, and supporting Tottenham its hard to swallow the fact that its red, maybe i need to follow my head over my heart.
I like the look of the Venge comp but for £2500 id want better than 105's.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
It is a nice bike that one for an extra £500 you can get the Tarmac with mainly Ultegra. And im sure Mr V can point you in the direction of a good source of Specialized selling equipment at prices that might suprise you and customer service that will impress you lol

mark st1

Plastic Manc
My finger is mate yes however i am seriously in love with that bike but you gotta make sure you can test ride or at least sit on and get a good feel for any bike your going to buy especislly if your spending a couple of grand like yourself mate.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The tarmac and roubaix are incredible bikes, there are few bikes which are so competent at everything imho. I've gone through pinerellos, looks, and a number of other bikes which are good in specific area's but lack in others. The tarmac and roubaix are great across the board, I would be happy riding them long distances or racing on them. Im just building a new Tarmac myself at the moment

I also have a Venge and although its a super fast bike, its compromised, the ride quality is a little harsh. The Venge makes you really smile but its not a bike I enjoy taking on social rides to much as it feels like it always wants to go faster, it just feels lacking unless ridden hard and then its incredible... I'm not knocking the bike just being honest about what its like to live with if your considering one.

Top Bottom