Hello from Suffolk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
Just a quick hello from a bit of a newbie.

I've had my Scott Tampico MTB since 2001 and it's had very little use apart from the London to Brighton i did about 5 years ago so it's a brilliant condition.

I have now decided that i need to get fitter and loose some weight so am in the process of joining a local gym and will also be cycling into work a few days a week once i've given the bike a once over as it's not moved from the shed for 2 years!!

Will be asking some specific questions in the next few days so look out!!

Mike

Shaun

Founder
:biggrin:

bauldbairn

Welcome to the Cycle Chat Mike. :biggrin:

Don't worry about asking questions - that's what the forums are for.

Oh!....and welcome back to cycling. ;)

Mike! said:
Just a quick hello from a bit of a newbie.

I have now decided that i need to get fitter and loose some weight so am in the process of joining a local gym and will also be cycling into work a few days a week once i've given the bike a once over as it's not moved from the shed for 2 years!!

Will be asking some specific questions in the next few days so look out!!

Mike

Tip #1: Simple (and obvious) tip when you start cycling to work - use the day prior to take as much of your gear (suit, towel, toileteries etc.) so you can cycle as light as possible and not be burdened with a hefty knap-sack or fully ladened panniers.

Tip #2: obviously give the bike a thorough check over. Check the condition of the tyres as often they lose pressure when left that long and when they've rested in a deflated state the rubber develops cracks. When pumped up the tread may look good but the tyres may be riven with cracks. Take the bike out for a few short 'test runs' before you rely on it to get to work.

I'm sure once you've dusted the bike off, you'll have many questions.

Welcome to CC.

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
catalan chris said:
Tip #1: Simple (and obvious) tip when you start cycling to work - use the day prior to take as much of your gear (suit, towel, toileteries etc.) so you can cycle as light as possible and not be burdened with a hefty knap-sack or fully ladened panniers.

Tip #2: obviously give the bike a thorough check over. Check the condition of the tyres as often they lose pressure when left that long and when they've rested in a deflated state the rubber develops cracks. When pumped up the tread may look good but the tyres may be riven with cracks. Take the bike out for a few short 'test runs' before you rely on it to get to work.

I'm sure once you've dusted the bike off, you'll have many questions.

Welcome to CC.

Thanks for the tips!

The idea is to drive on a Monday with some shirts / towel etc and then cycle for the other 2/3/4 days only carrying a dirty shirt back home each day. The theory is good anyway!

As for the bike - new road tyres are going to be fitted so it rolls better and from what i remember of it the gears need setting up (which will be fun!!) Apart from that (possibly brake cables i guess) it should be ok to go.

Hope to do this over the weekend and possibly cycle in on Tuesday next week to see how i go.

Next step is to persuade the Boss to install a shower (he did agree last year but it never happened :sad: )

Top Bottom