Hello from sunny Lincolnshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbrown82

Hello there, my name is Ian, currently living in Lincolnshire, but do move around the country due to work. i've just bought my first road bike after years of having MTB's.

My main aim is using cycling to get fit, but have set myself a target of cycling home to friends and family within the next year, roughly 120 miles. So will be needing advice and suggestions from the friendly bunch on here.

Anyway, that's the intro, here's to, hopefully, a successful adventure....... and a very expensive hobby?!?!?

many regards

Ian

p.s anyone know any hills in Lincolnshire, im still to find them......

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Depends where you are in Lincolnshire to be honest! If you're in the south of the county it's not so easy, but mid-Lincs (where I grew up) can be nice and hilly. Get into the Wolds (anywhere from Mavis Enderby upwards) and you'll get some nice rolling terrain. Don't be too quick to dismiss the training benefits of cycling into the wind or against cross-winds - that'll make you fit quick enough!

OP
OP
I

ianbrown82

I'm in woodhall spa, so yeah I'm down in the south bit. I have noticed a considerable head wind in every direction I go. Literally every direction. I was thinking of taking a trip further north in the county. So thank you for your advice.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Welcome to the forum .I visit Lincolnshire a few times a year and allways try to take a bike. Great place for cycling but take note of comments about wind. I would prefer a good hill to a head wind,at least it stops hurting at the top :biggrin:

Allways try to ride into the wind first then come home with it behind you. I visit some family in Keelby now and then.
IMG00136-20110226-1121.jpg

IMG00040-20101007-1343.jpg

One of these pics is not in Lincolnshire :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Ian, Isn't there a big hill in the middle of Lincoln itself, up to the Cathedral? Yes this hobby/addiction/sport/pastime can get expensive, you need to be disciplined when in the bike shop with regard to your wallet/credit card. Your willpower will get the better of you though. Resistance is futile.

Hello. was born in Lincolnshire (around Brigg) so know there aren't that many hills. There's a reasonable one between Brigg and Scunthorpe and a load of hills around Grasby/Caistor/Louth. Don't always go out looking for hills. I used to just train distance on the flat and never had any hassle with hills when I came across them. It's all about improving your cardio fitness and you don't always need hills to do that!!

OP
OP
I

ianbrown82

Im not going out deliberately looking for hills, believe me the 6 mile long, open straights with headwinds are enough at the moment. It was more for my riding partners who are considerably fitter than i am. They have mentioned some hills over near Louth, so it looks like we may be heading over that way soon. Thank you for the info though. much appreciated

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Welcome! If you think cycling is an expensive hobby just wait till you start looking at racks, panniers and lightweight tents for touring...

Paulus is right about the hills in the centre of Lincoln near the Cathedral.
Could I also Suggest: further north, the climb from Claxby up to Normanby-le-Wold?

Top Bottom