Hello from Totton ,need some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jase24

Jase24

Regular
Welcome :highfive:im new too :smile:
Hi SKD ,what cycling are you into?

SKD

Hi SKD ,what cycling are you into?

well TBH, I just got the bike back in october through the C2W scheme as getting to work by car was costing far too much (fuel and tolls), so getting the bike saves me £100 a month, thats after paying for the bike.(£42 a month).

Anyways the bike I have is a Boardman Comp MTB as half of my journey is road and half is black paths/tracks, but I really enjoy getting muddy, so once I get myself fit again I will be doing a few camping trips next year with the bike ;)

George

OP
OP
Jase24

Jase24

Regular
well TBH, I just got the bike back in october through the C2W scheme as getting to work by car was costing far too much (fuel and tolls), so getting the bike saves me £100 a month, thats after paying for the bike.(£42 a month).

Anyways the bike I have is a Boardman Comp MTB as half of my journey is road and half is black paths/tracks, but I really enjoy getting muddy, so once I get myself fit again I will be doing a few camping trips next year with the bike ;)

George
Blimey thats a win win situation^_^, cool i used to go off road getting muddy through the New Forest and over the Purbecks which i love ,but for the past year or so ive only used my MTB just to commute 14miles each day which is a waste really,i need to get out on my bike and get dirty again..

Am looking at getting a road or cyclocross bike for commute and looking at getting into doing sportiffs...:bicycle:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Although this article is headed as being about touring bikes, it actually contains a wealth of information about various bike types.
Cyclocross bikes share many of the features of touring bikes (big clearances, canti or disc brakes) but have a geometry for sharper handling, and possibly less comfort over long distances.

As you already have an MTB, a cyclocross bike (which will also deal with off-road) may not be first choice.

OP
OP
Jase24

Jase24

Regular
Although this article is headed as being about touring bikes, it actually contains a wealth of information about various bike types.
Cyclocross bikes share many of the features of touring bikes (big clearances, canti or disc brakes) but have a geometry for sharper handling, and possibly less comfort over long distances.

As you already have an MTB, a cyclocross bike (which will also deal with off-road) may not be first choice.
Thanks for the link has helped,think i will concentrate on getting a road bike ,sportive prob be the best frame type for me

OP
OP
Jase24

Jase24

Regular
2012-03-08 23.27.41.jpg
Well ive only gone and done it,brought a Cube Agree ,cant wait to go for a long ride on it

jay clock

Massive member
In terms of bike shops I must say I would not rate Cycle World in Romsey. I will bore you with the details another time. GA is good, and The Hub Cycle Works you mention is good too. The shop in Totton I would not recommend. Hansfords in CF are poor in my view but the Winchester one is excellent. Hargroves not bad

For cyclefitting if you go to that expense, I would rate www.vankru.com - Garth is excellent and a decent price.

For commuting, just a personal view, you would be mad not to get mudguards and a rack. At local shops you may not get much choice if you are after a proper road bike but I have one of these http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bike...k/en/bikes/road/sport/2_and_1_series/2_3(well under a grand from Hansfords for the 2011 model) and it is excellent and will (just) take full mudguards

Top Bottom