Hello, I am new and need a favour

What is most important in a hinge and lock mechanism of a folding bike? Choose 2

• Speed at which the bike can be unfolded.

• Only requires one hand operation.

• Durability of the mechanism.

• Complexity of the mechanism.

• Aesthetics of the design.

• Ability to change the looks of the locks using third party accessories.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rajkumar

I just joined the community and ride a mountain bike at the moment. I do not have a lot of knowledge on bikes but I have taken a final year project on designing a folding bike. The part that I am interested is the folding mechanism. I would like to start a poll and would like to know the responses please. The results will help me design the lock and hinge mechanism.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi and welcome @Rajkumar: your poll I think would get more responses on the folding bikes section.
Do you want to me to move it?
Pat.

Kell

Veteran
I think the answer will depend on who you ask and how they use it.

For me, it's the fact that the design of the fold allows the bike to go as small as possible.

Which is not one of your options.

I also wonder if you meant simplicity of the design rather than complexity. I don't know anyone would deliberately choose a more complex design over a simpler one.

Finally, I think you're concentrating on too small a focus point. The fold is, of course, important, but it's not the be-all and end-all of folding bikes. Whichever bike you choose is a compromise somewhere along the line.

Things to consider are:
Ease of use
This isn't just about how easy it is to fold or unfold, it also encompasses how easy it is to transport while folded. How do you pick it up? Can it be rolled along or does it have to be carried?
Type of use
Something which is only ever used on the flat in a city could be a single speed. But throw in touring capability and you're going to want gears. But then how many and what type? Derailleur? Chain pusher? Hub? CVT?
How it rides
Size of wheels affects this more than anything else. Bromptons and other really small-wheeled bikes fold smaller, but the ride over rough ground is compromised. There are 26" and 24" wheeled folders which are better to ride but don't fold as small.
Durability
Bromptons are very heavy, so they're not the easiest things to carry around for long distances. But they last a long time and hold their value. Aluminium bikes can be lighter (but not always) but then the frames don't last as long. Carbon gets very expensive.
Design/aesthetics
Arguably this is the least important factor (for me) when buying a folder as I think they all look silly. But it's function over form. I've seen comparatively better-looking folders, but they don't fold as small, or are more difficult to carry etc etc.

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a full review of all the folders out there past, present and in the pipeline, and try to assess if there's a gap in the market.

I think the cheaper end is covered off with multiple low-end bikes, but it might be that there's a massive market for ultra high-end lightweight folders.

HTH

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Also begs the question of what you mean by "the folding mechanism". I'm guessing this means the whole shebang: Frame tubes, hinges and associated fastenings - and by implication also the frame shape and overall design are all part of the "folding mechanism".

I'd dispute that actually.

Dahon uses the same folding mechanism across multiple bikes including 26" wheeled, 24" wheeled and 20" wheeled.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
IMG_20180501_113726.jpg
Look no further than the rock solid hinge and locking system on the best folder ever- the Bickerton Classic.

Top Bottom