Hello, I'm the new boy in town!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I have just joined CC as I have purchased my first road bike since a Falcon? in the mid seventies which at the time I thought was a lovely bike and above all gave me independence. I did many many miles on it and the only problem was when you peddled the thing, the left hand crank had an infuriating clunk which I did nothing about for years. The old guy at Wortleys bike shop in Stanningley (Leeds) told me several times it was cotterless but never did anything about it. Interestingly I can still remember the smell of that place from 1974

Wind the clock forward 40 years and I have bitten the bullet and bought a road bike with the intention of keeping fit and enjoying the countryside.

Initial thoughts after my first 6 mile ride:

Saddles never used to be like this
Gosh this thing is light (Wilier Zero 9)
I never used to wobble like this when looking over my shoulder
Scania wheels really do look intimidating and I never used to think twice about it
I really do need to buy a helmet (bought one today)
Strava and the like really add to the fun
I need a warm coat!!!

I will keep you posted.....

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I'm in North Yorkshire too, welcome to the forum.

alicat

Legendary Member
:welcome: I'm from Crossgates in east Leeds and now live in Lichfield, Staffs when I am not working in France.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry didn’t see this hello thread so posted on your other one.

Saddles are of course a personal thing so you’ll need to find something that suits your backside, needn’t be expensive, my favourite saddle cost four quid second hand.

Your bike is quite race oriented so the sharp geometry will feel quite twitchy hence the wobble. Is it the correct size for you?

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

I'm through Fairburn quite often en route to Birkin Fisheries café or, further out, Seedlings at Chapel Haddlesey. My club (Ravensthorpe CC) will also be running a TT through Fairburn in April when my 13yo will be riding again. I may be depending upon my health - so it'll either be me vs. him or a 2-up TT.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Sorry didn’t see this hello thread so posted on your other one.

Saddles are of course a personal thing so you’ll need to find something that suits your backside, needn’t be expensive, my favourite saddle cost four quid second hand.

Your bike is quite race oriented so the sharp geometry will feel quite twitchy hence the wobble. Is it the correct size for you?

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Hi again,

Yes it fits but I think it was just me being rusty on a bike that was the problem. The second time I went out
on the same 6 mile circuit I knocked 4 minutes off my time which really cheered me up. I’m going to do the same run again and hopefully knock another couple of minutes off and then extend my circuit to possibly 8 miles and build it up gradually. Im getting used to the “clippy” shoes too!!

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I hope you are up to full strength soon DC, it must be proper biking territory round here as the roads are full of cyclists on a weekend. I guess it’s relatively flat and if you choose your route carefully it is still possible to find quiet roads.

I’m on holiday at the end of the week and hoping for a little bit of sunshine as the trainer in the conservatory is hard work.

Top Bottom