Hello! Is there hope for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there wreck, very good advice has been posted so far. Mine is a tip on how to slow your heart rate down after you have done a ride, and it is simple. Stand up straight with hands on hips and breath through your nose in a controlled manner. Quite quickly your heart rate will start to slow. As you get fitter and your body gets used to exersize your heart and lung functions will be able to return to normal on there own in a short time.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Good words from everyone. I've not been in your position (yet!) but I'd just like to back up the encouragment. I'm not super fit. (I'm not actually even very fit). Most of the time I'm on my bike, the only lyra I'm wearing is that in my underwear elastic.

Let your cycling suit you and how you feel. If you are a competitive, driven sort, go for mileages and times and keeping records and so on. If sociable, find mates to go out on a pootle with. If solitary, just get out on your own and see where your ride takes you. If you enjoy it, you'll keep at it. Regular commuting is definitely a good way to get and keep an underlying fitness, and stop you sliding back if you feel lazy...:biggrin:

And welcome!:biggrin:

Wreck, Welcome!!

I've been lucky and been reasonably fit most of my life (I'm a youngster at 34!) It is an excellent way to keep fit and it can be a practical way of getting around as well. It will only cost as much as your interest in cycling dictates, and anyway it is much cheaper and more fun than going to the gym!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

ChrisW

Wreck, welcome to the madhouse...

We all started as sane, normal individuals and have ended up lycra clad gear spinning, wierdos...:biggrin: Well i have anyway.

And only 44, a mere slip of a lad. I'm even older than Over the Hill and have both cholesterol and blood pressures problems.

Cycling certainly makes them better, but more importantly its the general feeling of well being, even commuting through London.

Shaun

Founder
Wreck said:
are you lot all like the flock of lycra clad, chiseled, Greek god superhumans that blasted past me going up a hill yesterday at AAAGGHH! miles an hour?

Erm, does a lycra-clad spud count? :biggrin: (I'll spare you the photo's <hehe>!)

Welcome BTW. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Patrick Stevens said:
Hi, Arch, would you like to meet up? :biggrin:

why aren't you in pakistan throwing stones with the rest of the lawyers patrick? :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Commuting is the best way to get fit, loose weight, save money (ahem), get to/from work ON TIME........ then do the fun stuff at weekends.....

OP
OP
W

Wreck

Well, I'm sold, even though I felt like I was cycling through treacle to and from work today, I still look forward to getting on the bike.

Anyway, it's been a looooong day and I need me bed.

Cheers

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wreck said:
Well, I'm sold, even though I felt like I was cycling through treacle to and from work today, I still look forward to getting on the bike.

Anyway, it's been a looooong day and I need me bed.

Cheers

Don't think of it as treacle, think of it as high-glucose training gel...:biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Arch said:
Don't think of it as treacle, think of it as high-glucose training gel...:biggrin:

Same as riding into a headwind, think of it as hill training. Change up a gear or two and spin away, and imagine you are going up a hill.

I'd give it a couple of months before you suddenly realise that you feel really good. It's not instant. But it's sooo worth it when you realise that actually, this is fun and no longer a chore, and yes, I will go the long way round today just because I feel like it!

I started cycle commuting straight after one Christmas so it was nice and cold, and I had a nasty hill on the way home (basically slightly uphill all the way and a nice steep bit at the end).
First day: Got in, threw up, had to lie down for 10 minutes. Legs shaking.
Second day: Got in, had to lie down for 10 minutes.
Third day: Got in, only a 5 minute lie down.
...and so on.
I was VERY unfit, did no exercise at all for 18 months before this. I was also on a nice heavy steel beater and didn't eat enough carbs. I was also 22 years old and skinny!:biggrin: so really shouldn't have been in that much of a state!!

Top Bottom