Hello - new bike help needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glen_eagle

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as i'm joining the cycle to work scheme through work, but don't have a clue where to start in terms of getting a bike (i haven't had a bike since i was about 12, a good 17 years ago)

I'm looking for a bike where i will be doing 10 miles of cycling per day but there is also a train journey involved. On looking at the train there seems to be always room for bikes so doesn't necessarily have to be a "fold-up" one. From what i gather the scheme limits me to halfords which I can see on here has mixed feedback (i'd be using either Preston or Lancaster stores if anyone has any experience of those stores)

I'm 6 foot 2 and i'd say average weight if that has any baring on what bike to go for (my top end budget is £500). I've seen there is a sale on carrera bikes are these any good?

Thanks in advance for your help

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
carrera bikes are good for the money as are the boardmans, the only issue can be dependant on the staff is the competency of set up.I use a vituoso for commuting and its done stirling service but would you prefer a flat bar like....
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...dp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CJDDxsqN0bsCFccSwwodjX4Aug

OP
OP
G

glen_eagle

Thanks very much for your help, i was also having a look at the crossfire range on carrera as there is a half price sale on a couple of those, does anyone have an opinion on those?

The boardman bikes look quite good too, would a hybrid or a road bike be better, noticed the hybrids tend to have "chunkier" tyres

My dad has plenty of cycling experience so might have to get him to build whatever i get rather than let halfords get their hands on it!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The boardman bikes look quite good too, would a hybrid or a road bike be better, noticed the hybrids tend to have "chunkier" tyres

The road bike would be quicker, the hybrid more comfortable.

As you are only doing 10 miles a day, the speed difference is much less relevant.

Hybrids often come with mudguards and a rack, which most commuters find useful.

A hybrid would also be easier to get on with for someone returning to cycling.

Look for one with road-orientated tyres, that is tyres with a shallow tread.

Top Bottom