hello novice cyclist going to be doing LEJOG and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill-H

slow and steady
Hi i am Bill As the title says i am planning on doing lejog and back in june 2014 supported by partner in approx 3 weeks i am hoping to go up west of country and back down the east hopefully so going to pick your brains for help over this process
thanks in advance

robgul

Legendary Member
Lots of resources at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk

Having done the conventional JOGLE (2005) & LEJOG (2010) I have an embryonic plan to ride from home at Stratford-upon-Avon via Lincoln, Humber Bridge, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Perth, Inveness to JOG - then via Fort William, Glasgow, Widnes, Severn Bridge to LE .. then somehow back to Stratford .. either 2013, or more likely 2014 (Negotiations for a "kitchen pass" may take some time ^_^ )

Rob (the E2E site webmaster)

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
Hi rob i have spent a lot of time reading your site in last few months along with this one my route is taking a rough plan training was going well until a caravan decided to put me in a hedge coupleof weeks ago but on holiday soon hope tp put some miles in then

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
ok my skeleton route is
lands end okehampton bristol hereford shrewsbury runcorn (family accomadation) preston carlisle glasgow fort william inverness tongue thurso john o groats
john o groats wick inverness edinburgh darlington huddersfield (family accomadation) Heanor (family accomadation) coventry chippenham exeter oakhampton landsend BEER TIME
Detailed route planning to do rest places fluid as we are planning on camping except as shown

sabian92

Über Member
Don't forget to avoid the Runcorn Bridge :biggrin:

I'm from Runcorn, a lot of people avoid it and go through Warrington instead.

Enjoy it though!

Berties

Fast and careful!
have spoken to a couple of teams that did the 1000mile route over 9 days and you will test your foods etc kit think about repair ideas for route you will look at bike set up,tt bars maybe for the 130 mile days dot all the eyes and concentrate on the training plan,
a bit of advice i would give you insect repellant and good stuff,some of the guys were peppered by the scotish midges,do take a bit of time off after the tour its amazing the stress it puts on ankles and hands,one guy lost sensation in hands for a week ,

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Bill.:welcome:

What roads are you planning to use on the Hereford-Shrewsbury-Runcorn section? I have a suspicion you are going to say A49. As you describe yourself as a novice cyclist can I recommend you don't as it is not a nice road for cycling (it's a trunk route between South Wales and Liverpool/Manchester - plenty of lorries and impatient motorists).

Edit: From Hereford can I suggest the A4110 as far as Leintwardine then the B4385 to Bishops Castle. From there take the unclassified road which passes Norbury, Wentnor and Ratlinghope then goes through Pulverbatch, Longden & into Shrewsbury (crosses the A5 at Shrewsbury on a bridge avoiding an awkward junction).

From Shrewsbury, the A528 followed by the B5476 through Wem to Whitchurch.

North of Whitchurch it is a bit more difficult as there isn't an obvious parallel route. Perhaps someone who knows that area better than me can make a suggestion?

Best of luck with it.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
thanks for the advice gents all appreciated

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
well bike and i became a german sheperds chew toy i was cycling from barnstable to exmouth along tarka trail when a wooly crocadile decided to knock me over i was doing about 15 mph.so there i was feet still in pedals with a frothing beast chewing on my handle bars dogs owner just shouted across sorry he does'nt like bikes and then whistled it off i was too scared of dog to chase owner really gutted bike twisted up and road rash on thighs and knees.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sorry to hear that.:sad: Road rash is painful but fortunately it'll heal fairly quick. Just as well you've not broken anything!

When you say the bike is twisted up, what damage is there?

Getting knocked down by a dog that wants to chew the bike is not a common incident - you are now entitled to join the ranks of cyclists who have a crash story to tell.:whistle:

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
drop bars are slightly bent (i couldnt get down to them anyway) bar tape is chewed up all fixable

Bill

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
drop bars are slightly bent (i couldnt get down to them anyway) bar tape is chewed up all fixable
Well, if it's fixable that's something at least.

Bikes never stay pristine for long.:sad: There always seems to be some incident that takes the shine off them. Personally I've got chips out of the paint on the frame from the bike falling over a couple of times and gouges out of the brake levers and the bell (nice chrome one) plus a creased front mudguard from a crash just over a year ago. I'm philosophical about it now but definitely wasn't at the time.:cursing:

The main thing is to get back out and enjoy riding:thumbsup: .

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
very true i am hoping to get out next week currently only had 30 hours away from work in seven days so no riding this week however i have decided to replace road bike with a hybrid probably giant rapide 2 as borrowed one for a quick ride and found it really good compared to my old carrera tdf 14 gear bike

OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
Replaced road bike with a gt tachyon 4 brought from local bike shop who price matched the internet it is 7lb lighter than my road bike going out for ride tommorow hoping its good i did like the quick spin when i brought it

Top Bottom