hello novice cyclist going to be doing LEJOG and back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bill-H

Bill-H

slow and steady
wow it was great i beat my usual time by 4 minutes and that was going steady along seafront due to lots of sand on road i beat all personal records on strava and i reckon i can get better need to adjust seat slightly but yes so glad i brought it

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
wow it was great i beat my usual time by 4 minutes and that was going steady along seafront due to lots of sand on road i beat all personal records on strava and i reckon i can get better need to adjust seat slightly but yes so glad i brought it
That's brilliant! Having the right bike makes such a difference. Just keep this one away from those woolly crocodiles.:thumbsup:

Hi Bill.:welcome:

What roads are you planning to use on the Hereford-Shrewsbury-Runcorn section? I have a suspicion you are going to say A49. As you describe yourself as a novice cyclist can I recommend you don't as it is not a nice road for cycling (it's a trunk route between South Wales and Liverpool/Manchester - plenty of lorries and impatient motorists).

Edit: From Hereford can I suggest the A4110 as far as Leintwardine then the B4385 to Bishops Castle. From there take the unclassified road which passes Norbury, Wentnor and Ratlinghope then goes through Pulverbatch, Longden & into Shrewsbury (crosses the A5 at Shrewsbury on a bridge avoiding an awkward junction).

From Shrewsbury, the A528 followed by the B5476 through Wem to Whitchurch.

North of Whitchurch it is a bit more difficult as there isn't an obvious parallel route. Perhaps someone who knows that area better than me can make a suggestion?

Best of luck with it.:thumbsup:

We live on the Cheshire section of the A49 and it is absolutley fine for this section (IMO). in fact it is usually safer than the rat runs that are called country lanes around here and has several national cycle routes on it for some sections - though personally you are better off staying on the road when they go off on to the shared cycle lane/footpath pavement thing because it is seriously uneven and bumpy and slow you down considerably. The A49 at this end is wide and open and the lorries are fine if you are visible. on the country lanes and back roads you have to contend with the same 60 mph speed limit with impatient drivers and a road that is not wide enough for them to pass and often not enough visibility (too windy or up/down & around) for them to pass either - but it does not stop them trying - I do that commute twice a week and hate it (I prefer the A49!). My husband commutes the A49 3 times a week from Cuddington to Warrington/Daresbury via Runcorn road depending on which office he is in.
OK we are probably not in the novice cyclist category, but around here the big A roads are actually safer to cycle than the smaller A or B roads. It is only the tiny single track country lanes that are really safe with few if any vehicles. I also frequently cycle the A556 (this side of the M6 only) and whilst I won't do the A556 in the rain, dusk/dawn or rush hour, during the week during the day it is fine from Northwich all the way to Chester (or whatever name it changes to part way there) IMO.

Roads you won't get me on include the Crewe to Middlewich road and the A54 into Winsford going north - south is fine during weekday daylight hours because you get 2 lanes up the hill on the 60mph section.

I would not recommend you try following National Cycle Route 5 around here though, especially the sections that look great - i.e. along the river with no vehicles. It is not tarmac, it is not maintained and it is full of mud. tried a section of it yesterday and baled after talking with a very muddy dog walker about the rest of it between Winsford & Northwich.

Yell if you want some more info for this area - I seem to have cycled most of it now!

Top Bottom