Hello there peeps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lecabnoir

Hi, I'm new to the forum and although I've had bikes almost all my life I'm newly into distance cycling.

So far, the most I've done is 50 miles but I'm loving it and hoping to improve that over time

I'm not really a speed cyclist, I've tried, but I just don't think I'm built for speed so I'm happy to stick with the distance stuff.

I generally cycle by myself so one thing I'm hoping to find are some cycling buddies in the Cheshire area. If anyones interested give me a shout.

Kate

scotty110788

hi kate and welcome, 50mile is nice distance in the bank tbh, got my first coming up soon ^_^, max so far is just 20 because of work :sad: well past decade anyways :laugh:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Hi and :welcome:. I'm not into speed and at the moment not distance either (working on that). I'm just trying to get my weight down and increase my fitness. I also cycle by myself as I don't feel that confident in my fitness to tackle club run type distances yet.

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

I'm with you there guitarpete, I'd be terrified in a cycle club. I'm pretty sure I'd have a heart attack trying to keep up with them. :ohmy:

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

Thanks Scotty. I'm gonna try to build up to 75 as my next goal so that will feel like a real achievement for me. :-)

I know what you mean about work......I need to win the lottery so I can give up work and divide my time between climbing mountains and cycling......pure bliss. :-)

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi and :welcome:. I'm not into speed and at the moment not distance either (working on that). I'm just trying to get my weight down and increase my fitness. I also cycle by myself as I don't feel that confident in my fitness to tackle club run type distances yet.
Hi Kate, and with you there also Pete. 16.5 stone was just too much. Down to 15.5 now. Furthest I've done is 36 but I'm booked onto the short Cheshire Cat (47) next weekend. I'm also booked into 54, 55 & 64 up to June. Guess you could say I've dived in!

Club runs seem to be either too far or too fast for me, or both. I started a small group where I live (South Yorks ) for slow and social rides but so far its snowed each of the 3 times so think I'm jinxed.

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

Cheshire Cat? I was thinking about that the other day but I'm not sure if I've missed the date for signing up. Would only do the 47 miler though, couldn't handle the Mow Cop killer mile. :ohmy:

You really have jumped in there RhythMick. :ohmy: What are the 54, 55 and 64?

RhythMick

Über Member
Cheshire Cat? I was thinking about that the other day but I'm not sure if I've missed the date for signing up. Would only do the 47 miler though, couldn't handle the Mow Cop killer mile. :ohmy:

You really have jumped in there RhythMick. :ohmy: What are the 54, 55 and 64?
Rutland on 28th Apr
Lincoln GP
Leicestershire Tour

The Cat is closed I think but the others are open. I'm planning nice slow and sensible rides.

There's also the Exmouth Exodus which looks interesting in August. Overnighter from Bristol to Exmouth. 100 miles by August ... Hmmm?

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

Thanks Rockymountain. RhythMick I really do want to try a sportive but I need to get my speed up first. For the first time ever today I spent time cycling in my drops and am amazed at the difference it made. I can't wait to get back out and have another go. :tongue:

RhythMick

Über Member
Thanks Rockymountain. RhythMick I really do want to try a sportive but I need to get my speed up first. For the first time ever today I spent time cycling in my drops and am amazed at the difference it made. I can't wait to get back out and have another go. :tongue:
For me I think its important not to expect too much from the first few. I don't care if I average 10mph if I finish and enjoy it.

OP
OP
lecabnoir

lecabnoir

I need to learn to chill about my speed really. I'm quite competitive and can easily set myself a challenge that isn't always realistic. :tongue:

Top Bottom