Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chiefwiggum

Hello to all,
I am a new user of the site and have recently returned to cycling, proud owner of Giant SCR 2. Just thought I'd introduce myself.
I've done a couple of short test rides after receiving my bike on Monday, one of 10K and one of 15K both at an average 22kpm, not so speedy!, however really enjoyed it and hope to get the Km count up soon. Any tips on how to increase distances and what sort of training targets I should have on individual rides would be appreciated. I would like to join a club but want to increase endurance a bit beforehand. I should add that I'm a 42 year old ex-prop forward and therefore a bit heavy (106kg) so taking sensible gradual approach. Thanks in antcipation.
Chief

Hello Chiefwiggum. I'll see your prop and raise you a second row (er...I think that should be the other way around but never mind...)

I used dubbin - but I was also of the Adidas era so not too much older than you.
Enjoy your cycling and enjoy this board. Café is nice enough place to 'learn' about some folk, and, generally this is ex-prop's paradise! xx( So get posting!

You will be a good addition to this board - most of us are looking for an 'Indian summer' :biggrin::blush:

frog

Hello and welcome Chief!

Just go out and ride the bike. Get used to handling it and being comfortable in traffic first. Everything else will follow on after that. :biggrin:

Shaun

Founder
Hi Chiefwiggum,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't be shy about posting any kind of question either, there are plenty of seasoned cyclists here who are more than willing to offer great help and advice :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy your stay xx(

Cheers,
Shaun

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Morning!

Greetings Chiefwiggum, from a fellow ex-prop, mostly tight: was 6' 1'' and 115kg in 1993, now -still :biggrin:- 6' 1'' and 92 kg, thanks in no small part to cycling, eating healthily and smaller portions, and having no Saturday evening/night temptations at the rugby bar/clubhouse. xx(
Build your speed and distances up gradually and your fitness will improve. If you haven't already, get some practical clothing to suit the kind of riding you do.
And there's tons of good advice and knowledge here, so ask away. :biggrin:

Dayvo said:
Greetings Chiefwiggum, from a fellow ex-prop, mostly tight: was 6' 1'' and 115kg in 1993, now -still :biggrin:- 6' 1'' and 92 kg, thanks in no small part to cycling, eating healthily and smaller portions, and having no Saturday evening/night temptations at the rugby bar/clubhouse. :biggrin:
Build your speed and distances up gradually and your fitness will improve. If you haven't already, get some practical clothing to suit the kind of riding you do.
And there's tons of good advice and knowledge here, so ask away. :B)

The drinking team is taking shape...we need a few people a bit nimble like - to weave to the bar now... xx(