Hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J_H1026

Morning everyone,

Long time lurker on here but finally got around to registering as I've got a fair few questions on the boil that I'm going to need help answering! I've mainly been a commuter over the past 2 years or so, making my way across S Glocs into Bristol all year round. The problem being that I bought a rather expensive road bike and didn't factor in the significant wear 50 miles a day would do! After a number of rather expensive services by the LBS and many frustrated hours trying to re-index my FD, whilst watching GCN tips on how easy it is, decisions need to be made!

I've also just completed the End to End over 9 days which was great fun, except when my sticky FD started playing up on day 8.5! I now find myself wondering should I buy a bit a rough commuter and keep my road bike for nice days, or sod it and just buy some nice Di2 stuff???

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and a warm :welcome: to you. I would stick to the road bike and learn how to service it yourself. It's very satisfying to do it yourself. That's just my opinion of course. The final decision is yours. Let us have your questions and see if we can help you.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome J_H1026, there is plenty of advice to be had on the forum about mechanical issues and how to fix them. Why not buy a commuter bike but keep the road bike for those lovely dry summer days.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. Personally i would keep the road bike for the good weather and just get a tough run around for your commute.

But if you want to save money, i would also learn how to do mechanical work on your bike. Ask your LBS if they know anywhere where you can take a course to learn basic maintenance.

lane

Veteran
Welcome to the forum. If you have aptitude and inclination plus time then doing your bike maintenance might be a good option. Bike maintenance course would probably be helpful.

Biker Joe

Über Member
For bike maintenance there's always the internet, YouTube etc. and of course you can find out a lot on this forum. I've learnt an awful lot from these.
If you get stuck or confused about anything just ask. Happy cycling.

OP
OP
J

J_H1026

Thanks for the welcome guys. As many of you have mentioned, I'll probably look at getting a commuter to do the hard miles and will look to do my own maintenance. I just need to build up my tool kit for those slightly more in depth jobs.

Top Bottom