Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Hi

I'm new to the forum, and new to cycling (well, last time I rode was about '96, and then not seriously).

I decided to start cycling again as at age 34, I have hit 20 stone and have a case of sciatica. The physio suggested walking, swimming or cycling.

I don't like swimming, and I can get bored walking, so me and the other half pulled the bikes out of the shed, which we bought about 6 years ago from Halford's but never got used.

After a test run in the garden I found the saddle incredibly painful, probably the extra weight, so I read up on the internet and went and bought a new saddle, a bit more comfy but not so huge as to make cycling difficult.

The bike is a Raleigh MTB with front shocks and Shimano gears, and is built like and as heavy as a tank. The other half has an Apollo with Shimano gears.

I know now that we should have bought different bikes (eg my bike frame is too big and heavy) but we are happy to continue with what we have until we have more experience and then trade up to better models.

Anyway, we practiced riding up and down the driveway at the back of the houses to get our confidence back. Then over the last couple of weeks, we built up from 1 mile, to about 4.5 mile on a flat circuit with a couple of rest stops. We intend to carry on with this until stamina has built up for further rides and tackling hills.

Now, I find the saddle to be comfy with no problem, and I still get slightly out of breath and my muscles get tired, but have been out every night except a couple of missed days on the weekends. With that I lost 2lb at this weeks weigh in, even with a poor diet last week:smile: I do feel that my fitness level has slightly increased though.

Best investments so far have been the saddle and the bottle with holder screwed to the frame.:biggrin:

A couple of quick questions if I may?

1/ My bike has tyres with big tread all over, her's has a slick center and tread on the edges, would it be worth changing mine to that type as mostly on pavements and grass?

2/ I really struggle with hills of any size, is this just a case of waiting till i'm fitter? Or is it a mix of fitness, weight of me, weight of bike etc?

3/ I've noticed on the forum, some user's have a series of numbers in the signature with cross out's on some. What does this signify? Miles covered, minutes riding? Doughnuts consumed?

Regards

Rich

PS. The sciatica has eased up no end since I started, amazing what a bit of movement does

lanternerouge

Veteran
Welcome Rich, I have just started visiting this site and find it v helpful. I am sure others would be better placed to answer your question, but bloody well done on making a start on making things better for yourself!

aJohnson

Firstly welcome.

1/ No idea sorry.

2/ I think hills is a mix, I'm skinny and have a light bike and find hills fairly easy at the moment (The ones I've been up). When I used my heavy Raleigh mtb I found hills ALOT harder, so the weight of the bike does make a big difference on hill climbing IMO, but it is a mix between weight & fitness.

3/ It signifys miles done, well mine does anyway.

wafflycat

rh100 said:
A couple of quick questions if I may?

1/ My bike has tyres with big tread all over, her's has a slick center and tread on the edges, would it be worth changing mine to that type as mostly on pavements and grass?

2/ I really struggle with hills of any size, is this just a case of waiting till i'm fitter? Or is it a mix of fitness, weight of me, weight of bike etc?

3/ I've noticed on the forum, some user's have a series of numbers in the signature with cross out's on some. What does this signify? Miles covered, minutes riding? Doughnuts consumed?

Regards

Rich

PS. The sciatica has eased up no end since I started, amazing what a bit of movement does

Welcome!

As a larger lady who cycles, I empathise!

1. Semi-slicks will make it a bit easier cycling on road. Ok for very light off-road too.

2. Hills are the Spawn of Satan. They do become easier with time, practise, putting in the miles, getting fitter and losing a bit of weight and bike.

3. They'd like you to think it's miles covered. The reality is it's the number of deep-fried Mars Bars they've consumed :biggrin:

Right... as someone who, the first time she got back on a bike after years away... unfit.. overweight... couldn't ride five miles without getting off several times for a breather... here's what worked for me.

Little & often. Start off slow. Enjoy it. Do not even try to think you are able to compete in the Tour de France, even in your head ;)

Do a little, short distance every other day. Enjoy it. If at any time in that, you need to stop for a breather, walk alongside the bike.. fair enough, there's no shame in that. Enjoy it - have fun. Once you've become comfortable at your short distance - gradually increase mileages. Vary your route. Enjoy it. Key - don't let a ten mile bike ride give you a thirty mile bike ride appetite. Keep hydrated - drink lots of water. At short distances you are unlikely to require isotonic drink to keep you going. Did I mention that having fun is the key? Don't judge yourself by tales of folk covering fantastic distances and fleet of pedal speed - cycle for yourself. Take pride in your cycling achievements - and don't be put off by others.

Did I mention enjoy it?

hiya

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Well done getting back on the bike! I started cycling at just over 20 stone a couple of years ago and hills were HORRIBLE. Now, after taking cycling and weightloss more seriously from last October, I'm (just) under 16.5st hills are getting a lot better, there is a certain amount of technique involved though you won't need to worry about that yet.

At 20st the best thing is to find a low gear and spin up them, it's great fatburning cardio too. Keep at it and it WILL get easier. My fitness was terrible when I started but it's got to the point now where my resting heart rate is down to 55bpm which isn't bad as I'm still classed as obese!

Are you doing anything in addition to the cycling to lose weight? I've been following a great calorie controlled diet for the past year and found that it's really helped change my lifestyle. The last thing I want do do is lose all my weight then put it back on because I've no idea how to maintain a healthy balance. PM me if you want any info.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks for the reply

Well done on losing so much, that's quite an achievement.

I have started to eat better over the last few months, as the GF goes to a slimming club, all the food she cooks for me is cooked without much fat in it. But I'm slowly trying to ease off the junk food aswell, taking that slowly as if I stop eating what I like outright I'll probably get fed up and stop trying, if you know what I mean? So my diet is probably half good, half bad at the moment. I don't drink or smoke either so that helps :evil:

How long did it take you before you could tackle hills with any confidence?

I think you are right that it is a lifestyle change that is needed, as a diet implies that it will finish at some point.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
rh100 said:
Thanks for the reply

Well done on losing so much, that's quite an achievement.

I have started to eat better over the last few months, as the GF goes to a slimming club, all the food she cooks for me is cooked without much fat in it. But I'm slowly trying to ease off the junk food aswell, taking that slowly as if I stop eating what I like outright I'll probably get fed up and stop trying, if you know what I mean? So my diet is probably half good, half bad at the moment. I don't drink or smoke either so that helps :tongue:

How long did it take you before you could tackle hills with any confidence?

I think you are right that it is a lifestyle change that is needed, as a diet implies that it will finish at some point.

To be honest, hills took a good few months to get better. I think a lot of it was how bad my cardio fitness was. I'd get off and push on my 3.5 mile ride home when I was going up the hill to my house, now I tend to power up it or spin up it, usually about 12mph. I still try to push myself but my recovery times have improved vastly so I can go harder for longer and take it easy for a bit to recover.

I think following the Mrs' diet will be good, I tried slimming clubs but they only taught me how to lose weight, not keep it off and I'd end up 'blowing the diet' at every available opportunity. You've got to want to change though. See how eating sensibly goes, along with the cycling and just remember you can eat anything you want - in moderation!

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Well, I made it up my first hill, not overly long or steep but enough to make me stop twice and rest. The first time I tried it I gave up after only a few metres, but this time i got a third the way up before stopping, carried on then stopped again and finally reached the top.

I think it's because I've sussed out what gears to use (front gear 1, rear gear 4 or 5) and switch down as It gets harder. Before I was in 1 and 1 and I think my legs were spinning too quick and just tired me out.

Just need to practice now to build up stamina, as when I can do it regularly, it means loads more different routes available to me to stave off any boredom cycling the same routes ;)

Top Bottom