Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Catty

Hello folks!

Found this place on google, so i thought i'd pop by and see what was happening :biggrin:

I like to cycle when i'm not in physical pain, which isn't often these days :biggrin:

My pet hates are inconsiderate cyclists who think the highway code doesn't apply to them and so jump red lights and car drivers who cut me up or open their doors without looking so i end up doing a gymnastics performance worthy of a straight 10 at the olympics!

I like to just go to places and people reading my fb status laugh at me cos of the places i end up in lol.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Welcome. What does fb mean?

peanut

welcome catty. Sorry to hear that you are in constant pain. Cycling is the only exercise I can do now without pain so we are very fortunate I guess.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your bike and hearing more from you about your travels;)

rh100

Catty said:
Hello folks!

Found this place on google, so i thought i'd pop by and see what was happening :rofl:

I like to cycle when i'm not in physical pain, which isn't often these days :smile:

My pet hates are inconsiderate cyclists who think the highway code doesn't apply to them and so jump red lights and car drivers who cut me up or open their doors without looking so i end up doing a gymnastics performance worthy of a straight 10 at the olympics!

I like to just go to places and people reading my fb status laugh at me cos of the places i end up in lol.

Welcome Catty

Have you been cycling for long? Cycling has been great for me (had sciatica caused by a slipped disc), so who knows. Good luck with it.

Rich

OP
OP
C

Catty

I've been cycling for as long as i can on and off.

My present bike was a freebie from some government thing to get us 'poor people from poor areas' back out doing exercise.

Sciatica is my trouble, and it's constant with the only release when i lie on my memory foam mattress :smile:

rh100

I have had sciatica for nearly two years, only properly diagnosed for one year. Was eventually given proper painkiller's and was on 3 a day plus paramol over the counter, very rarely did the pain ease up. Was given an MRI a few months ago and was offered an operation to correct the slipped disc, but I turned it down and went to physio instead, who advised swimming or cycling. I'm not keen on swimming so got the old bike from the shed and started from there. I have been going for over a month now, and I havn't needed a painkiller for over a week as I barely notice it now, the only time it plays up is if I stand around for a while, other than that it's effectively gone. Time will tell if this is a permanent fix, but whilst my mileage isn't that high, I go out regularly and this is the only exercise i get.

OP
OP
C

Catty

Oh right. I've been kind of avoiding cycling while in pain, but you say it helps, so i might try it.

I'm doing a mass ride on 16th october, but hopefully should get out before then lol

peanut

Catty said:
I've been cycling for as long as i can on and off.

My present bike was a freebie from some government thing to get us 'poor people from poor areas' back out doing exercise.

Sciatica is my trouble, and it's constant with the only release when i lie on my memory foam mattress :biggrin:

this is typical of lower Lumber problems. Your problem is probably with your L5/S1 disk where disk problems have caused localised compression or stenosis of the spine and your sciatic nerves are either being pinched or inflamed due to excess pressure.

Like you I found out by experimenting that a soft topper to a firm mattress is the best way to get relief. Firm mattresses are the worst possible solution to our particular problem.

The spine needs to be slightly curved to get pain relief not straight.

My consultant Physio thought that I should walk a lot for exercise:ohmy: She said I shouldn't cycle because of the 'shock' to the joints . :cry:

Its surprising the level of ignorance in the medical profession! Cycling is the only thing that I can do.

rh100

Catty,

In my experience, going out regular is the thing, at least every other day, even if only a couple of mile. I've even ditched the 2nd car now and commute by bike to make sure I keep it up. I spent too long sat on my backside and in pain - stopped me doing all sorts of things. Don't mean to sound dramatic, but it's a new lease of life. It took about a week or two for significant improvement in pain reduction. Just need to work at getting the weight off now which probably caused it in the first place.

The thing about cycling, is it is LOW impact, as opposed to the jolts of running or something. Once your on the bike, you're just spinning your legs which is ideal for the sciatic problem. The MRI scan I had showed that the jelly type stuff in between the discs had squashed and spread outwards, pressing on the nerve, the op' I was offered was to cut away the protruding part (with a slight risk of being paralyzed in the process - no thanks).

The advice I was given was that even when in pain the excersize helps alleviate it, rather than waiting for it to go. But it's only yourself that knows what pain you are in and whether you can move let alone cycle :cry:

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on

Top Bottom