Hello .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Klaus

.... from me, just acquired a hybrid for free via the local FREEGLE email list. Last time cycled was in 2003 in Holland, whilst working there. Before then as a teenager in Germany. Based in High Wycombe, age 51 and a half. I will turn the hybrid into a more traditional bike which mud guards, pannier rack, prop stand, etc. Not sure what the make is (not at home just now) but it has a sticker with the Swedish flag saying "Swedish Design". I am not complaining it was free after all .... just waiting for the weather to improve. Still shaky on the bike but I will get back into the swing soon. See you around!
Klaus

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi Klaus,
welcome back to cycling and welcome aboard the good ship Cycle Chat.

I can imagine that you will find cycling in the UK a whole different ball game then cycling in Holland.

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

ianrauk said:
Hi Klaus,
welcome back to cycling and welcome aboard the good ship Cycle Chat.

I can imagine that you will find cycling in the UK a whole different ball game then cycling in Holland.

I have lived in the UK for 30 odd years so I am quite familiar with conditions here, and the lack of real cycle ways. Also I am not a fan of hills, why do I live in High Wycombe then ..... Motor traffic has taken over everywhere with very little thought about developing alternative modes of transport. Makes me laugh when I see some of the painted "cycle lanes", 1 foot wide...

bauldbairn

Welcome to the CC forums Klaus.:smile:

You're right, our cycle lanes / policies in this country are laughable. :biggrin:

All the best to you from central Scotland. :becool:

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

Today, nice weather, fitted the rear mudguard, then on a short 5 mile ride in my local area, only small inclines/declines. Quite pathetic I was knackered .... totally out of condition .... However, it's just phantastic with the wind against your face. At last I am more confident. And the bike is working well, without much doing to it.
But dealing with car traffic I still find a nightmare - being a driver of some 30+ years being on a bike one realises how vulnerable cyclists are. My next challenge, more to do with building confidence, is to take the main road through town (A40) from West Wycombe to Loudwater and return. This is all traffic with mainly single carriageway, loads of lights, etc.
Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying nice cycling weather!
Greetings from sunny High Wycombe!

Norm

You live in a very lumpy part of the world there, Klaus, although the A40 is pretty flat through town it's not a pleasant piece of tarmac for cyclists.

I've cycled to HW once from Maidenhead, I managed to get up to Handy Cross but the journey home was much easier. :girl:

OP
OP
Klaus

Klaus

Norm said:
You live in a very lumpy part of the world there, Klaus, although the A40 is pretty flat through town it's not a pleasant piece of tarmac for cyclists.

I've cycled to HW once from Maidenhead, I managed to get up to Handy Cross but the journey home was much easier. :smile:

Today was the day of the A40, did a total of 6 miles through town, started West Wycombe Road almost at West Wycombe and then up to the London Road at Loudwater and back past the rugby club. First time in my life I wore a helmet !!! Got a Bell Citi which is very easy to set up.

OK it was Sunday morning so not a lot of traffic but busy enough to give me a fright or two. Most drivers seemed to give me a lot of space but several came quite close for comfort .... I played totally by the book, stopping at red lights, getting off when on the pavement etc no hassle really. I am now more confident on the busy road.

Half way back I had to stop to get a bottle of water at a shop - did'nt think to bring one .... gulped down half a litre on the spot. Got myself a bottle holder and bottle from the pound shop.

Anyway, my fitness level is non-existent. However, it's great to make progress, to feel the legs. I am still avoiding the hills until I am comfortable on the flat. Funny thing was when I got home and walked upstairs for shower, first step my legs almost didn't want to do it ....

Anyway with the weather holding and the days now longer hopefully I get some more practice during the week. I certainly don't want to do any racing but build up the fitness so that everyday riding isn't a chore and perhaps I could think of doing longer tours for leisure.

See you around!:biggrin:

Darkmarkster

Über Member
Welcome to the site Klaus,Have fun :biggrin:

Norm

West Wycombe is not the best, that's for sure. Your choices are either busy or lumpy... or both. ;)

Heading north west towards / past Bradenham might be a little quieter until you get more used to it, although the road is still pretty narrow until you have gone under the rail bridge.

Alternatively, if you go north through Downley and take one of the bridal paths through to Naphill, the road from Naphill to Loosley is pretty flat.

Top Bottom