Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave coe

:biggrin:I'm from manchester. 21 stone 5' 6" with knee arthritus. Need to loose weight but scared of hurting knees. Help & comments pls.:ohmy:

DavieB

MIA
I dont know anything about knee arthritis, but welcome to the forums.

dave coe said:
:biggrin:I'm from manchester. 21 stone 5' 6" with knee arthritus. Need to loose weight but scared of hurting knees. Help & comments pls.:ohmy:

Hi Dave

Welcome to the site. Given your weight and associated conditions, I would advise seeing your doctor first.
Best to get advice from the professionals first.

Barbelier

Dave

Sorry but I also don't know anything about knee arthritis. However, there is almost certainly someone on here who does

I have a somewhat dodgey left knee that can give me a bit of pain if I put too much strain on it at the wrong angle. I'm training for LEJOG and like you I was a bit apprehensive about getting back into cycling. However, I have now done over 1,000 training and the knee has been fine. In fact I would say its stronger and less prone to pain that before when I started.

From my experience I would suggest you build up very slowly. Start with a short trip of 2-3 miles, see how the knee feels and if everything goes okay slowly increase the distant, allowing plenty of rest days. Stay away from steep hills at the start that could put strain on the knee and don't be worried about getting off and pushing the bike up any hills you do have to go up.

If at all in doubt consult your GP.

Best of luck.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I know about knee arthritis, is when you get arthritis in the knee :smile: joking aside welcome, as has been said take it easy at first and seek medical advice if you start cycling more seriously (more then a few miles at a time) you dont want to make things worse then they are. from my brief reading it seems cycling is a good form of exercise to help prevent arthritis getting worse, offering good, low impact exercise and also building up the surrounding muscles taking some pressure off the joint.

Im sure this combined with weight loss with greatly help your condition. As said take it slow and easy, try replacing a few short car journeys with cycling instead. slowly build yourself up, but remember if things start hurting, go and see a doctor.

Top Bottom