Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZIZAG

Veteran
HELLO EVERYBODY .
I HAVE JUST JOINED AS A NEW MEMBER . I AM A 65 YEAR OLD PENSIONER . I RETIRED A YEAR EARLY FROM WORK
AS IT WAS BECOMING TO STRESSFULL . SO NOW THAT I AM A FREE MAN . AND HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD .
I HAVE BROUGHT MY OLD BIKE OUT OF RETIREMENT . I GOT IT IN 1976 FOR £30 SECOND HAND IT WAS PROBABLY 4/5 YEARS OLD THEN SO ITS POSSIBLE A 40 YEAR OLD BIKE .
WE THINK IT IS AN OLD RALEIGH ROADSTER . MADE OF STEEL . AND QUITE HEAVY COMPARED TO NEW BIKES TODAY . IT HAS DROPPED HANDLEBARS AND IT IS 10 SPEED GEARS . CARLTON BRAKE LEVERS AND DERAILLEUR HURET GEARS .
27 BY 1&QUARTER INCH WHEELS
IT WAS ALL IN RED AND HAD A YELLOW BLAZE WITH THE RALEIGH PHOENIX * . WEIGHT 13 KILO'S . I DECIDED TO HAVE IT PAINTED METALLIC BLUE LIKE MY NEW TOYOTA COROLLA CAR IN 1977 AT THE TIME . " NOW SEEMS LIKE A BIG MISTAKE NOW" .
I GOT THE BIKE ON THE ADVICE OF A PHYSIO . WHO TOLD ME TO BUILD UP MY QUADS TO ALLIVIATE THE STRAIN ON MY BADLY DAMAGED KNEE . WHICH STOPPED ME PLAYING AMATEUR FOOTBALL ALTOGETHER .
AS I HAD TORN THE LIGAMENTS AND SNAPPED THE TENDONS . SO I WAS TOLD TO AVOID EXPLOSIVE SPORTS . I.E SQUASH TENNIS FOOTBALL.
BUT WAS ALLOWED TO JOG /RUN OR CYCLE OR SWIM . WELL I GOT INTO RUNNING BY ACCIDENT /DEFAULT IN THE EIGHTIES .
SO I TOOK UP RUNNING AND WAS HOOKED . I HAVE BEEN A RUNNER FOR THE LAST 25 YEARS . I AM STILL ABLE TO JOG AROUND A HALF MARATHON COURSE . BUT THE OLD LEFT KNEE GIVES ME A LOT OF PAIN DURING AND AFTER THE RACE .
SO I FIND CYCLING MUCH EASIER AND DONT GET THE KNEE PAINS . I LIVE IN CHESHIRE AND GO OUT TO THE CHESHIRE CYCLEWAYS A LOT NOW, NOTHING TO FAR . USUALLY 12M CYCLE AROUND M/C AIRPORT . AND CYCLE OUT AS FAR AS TATTON PARK AND BREARTON HEATH . 20M TO 30 MILES . SO I WILL BE CYCLING MORE AND MORE AND GOING MUCH FURTHER . AND PLODDINNG AROUND THE LEAFY LANES OF CHESHIRE .
HOPE FULLY YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME ADVICE /TIPS FO MY CYCLE TRIPS .

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
:welcome: I cycle around the Cheshire lanes quite a bit, went through Tatton Park at the weekend. Nice riding around central Cheshire. I mix it up with a bit of hilly stuff into the Peak District as well. Nothing wrong with a steel framed Raleigh. I ride a Raleigh R100 chromo steel frame. Steel is real :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Hello Hacienda71.
Many thanks for your welcome and quick reply .
I am the same as you An exiled Mancunian. And reside in the Wilmslow. Cheshire area . Did you ever live In Hulme /Moss side !!!!!!!
When i lived In sunny Hulme in the 1960. I used to cycle down the old A56 to Lymm dam .With guys who went fishing . And also cycled to Pickmere . That was the last time I did any serious cycling .
P.S.
Amendment To my description about my old bike .
I have just been reprimanded ("told Of by my son ") the Technician who carrys out maintenance to the bike .
That the Bike Is a Vintage Raleigh Touring racing bike 1970.
all the other descriptions are correct .

I did the Tatton Park run a couple of months ago . Came from the Styal side to Ashley then out of the park through Knutsford to Mobberley . And followed the Wilmslow half marathon course back to Pepper street Breachouse lane
Daventport lane . Burleyhurst lane back to Wilmslow . :hello:
We must be passing each other .
Cheers mate .

Hacienda71

My dad is from Green Heyes but grew up in Stretford. I have lived in Wilmslow most of my life. Just born in Manchester.
I do a loop that sounds very similar to yours. Morley to Mobberley past the station to Knutsford, Tatton Park, down the Tatton mile to Ashley then back to Mobberley, Morley, Wilmslow. Circa 21 mlles, It seems a popular route with cyclists of all shapes sizes on all sorts of bikes, we are bound to have passed each other, I tend to acknowledge other riders so we may have exchanged nods.
You can do some really good longer rides on the lanes by heading out via the Frozen Mop in Mobberley towards the Peovers, staying off the main roads especially the A50 (which is a nasty road for cyclists) crossing over the M6 on one of the many bridges and having an explore. Take a map if you don't know the area too well or you will end up in Warrington. :ohmy:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome,you ride my favorite haunt round Ringway and Tatton area.Used to live in Timperley and was always at the airport and surrounding area most weekends,living near Tyldesley has not stopped me venturing that way when i can,just adds a few more miles on the ride !

Canardly

Veteran
Zigzag welcome and enjoy yourself. Please don't take this as a criticism - when posting in forums you are usually better of using lower case letters, as using upper case is known as 'SHOUTING'. Upper case is normally used to emphasize things.( Hope admin doesn't think I am trying to do their job for 'em). Regards.

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Hacienda71. I lived on LLoyd Street North In the mid fifties .It was Moss Side then . But It looks like It comes under Greenhayes now. I am familure with all the roads and streets .In that area .And everybody knew each other . So Its more than likely I knew your dad . What street did he live in Greenhayes .
I have cycled out past the Frozen mop. Faulkners lane . Towards Warford .I first got to know this area around 25 years ago running the Wilmslow half marathon . And got to know every lane . Including Noah ark Lane . I have cycled out to the Peovers a lot and taken different lanes to see where they come out . Thanks for the tip avoiding the A50 , as the closest I have been to It was the Chelford road A535.
I did a cycle to Tatton Park/ Rosterne last year . With the Intention Of checking out the "Old Chester Road" . Well I gave up at the junction of the lane that came out onto to It And had to cycle down It with the heavy traffic to the Black Swan at the lights at Bucklow hill . I realised I was risking life and limb . Cycled back to rosterne mere and back home to live another day . :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Skudupnorth. Thanks for the welcome.
I suppose when you live at Timperley you came down Clay lane and then had a couple of options to get to the perimeter of the Airport . To Altrincham Road to the 2 tunnels then up the steep hill to (Old Altrincham Road) Which was a country lane . And a rat run for cars To the old Aviation park that was stationed at the top of the road . The old brick works . Oversleyford farm . Now a tarmac road leading to a bridleway walkway to Styal . :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Canardly . Thanks for the welcome ." Young Un "
wacko.gif
No exception taken . Regards to Using upper case . At my age we "Olde uns" do tend to shout:wacko: . ( I'm not quite computer literate yet.)
What neck of the woods are you from !!!!!!.
Cheers;)

Hacienda71

Hacienda71. I lived on LLoyd Street North In the mid fifties .It was Moss Side then . But It looks like It comes under Greenhayes now. I am familure with all the roads and streets .In that area .And everybody knew each other . So Its more than likely I knew your dad . What street did he live in Greenhayes .
I have cycled out past the Frozen mop. Faulkners lane . Towards Warford .I first got to know this area around 25 years ago running the Wilmslow half marathon . And got to know every lane . Including Noah ark Lane . I have cycled out to the Peovers a lot and taken different lanes to see where they come out . Thanks for the tip avoiding the A50 , as the closest I have been to It was the Chelford road A535.
I did a cycle to Tatton Park/ Rosterne last year . With the Intention Of checking out the "Old Chester Road" . Well I gave up at the junction of the lane that came out onto to It And had to cycle down It with the heavy traffic to the Black Swan at the lights at Bucklow hill . I realised I was risking life and limb . Cycled back to rosterne mere and back home to live another day . :rolleyes:

My dads grandparents had the shop on Carter Street off Lord Street North, but left in the 40's. He was born there as was his mum. After that they moved to a new house in between Urmston and Stretford. I think the shop on Carter Street was knocked down in the late sixties and the University Science Park was stuck on it. Bit ironic my dad ended up as a professor at Manchester University and was able to tell the visiting Chinese students he was born in the science park.

Just came back from a ride along the lanes in the dusk with a stretch on the A535 near Knutsford and dived off down a side lane as soon as the opportunity arose. We are lucky to have such good cycling in the area :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Me and my schoolmates from the local Holy Name school used to go to a shop on the corner of Carter street .
In the 1950's . As they both lived in Carter Street . The whole area was demolished in the 1960. To make way for new houses and land for the University . It was funny that your dad became a professor In the same area .

It was good weather today for a cycle . On the Chelford road did you go over the new bridge over the new Alderley bypass . As the bypass opens on the 19th of November ." I wonder how many cyclists will go for a spin down it ". And back . Its only 3 miles long . It ends near Monks Heath .
Did you go out last Sunday the 24th October cycling . As It was one of the coldest night 's yet below freezing , and early morning was bitter Icy cold .
Well I volenteered to run the 5 mile road race for a charity . The road to Astra Zenaca was jammed with traffic . And delayed the 9:30am start of the race till 9:45am . It was was just above freezing . Even for the battle hardned runners In shorts . Quite a few hills . They had Ken Barlow from the street as the celebrity to start & give out prizes . It was a lovely day blue sky and very clear . But the very bright sunshine was blinding even with sunglasses on . After I ran the race . The Charity coaxed me Into walking back down the bypass 3 miles, to the roundabout at the Merlin Hotel . And then go by coach back to Astra Zenaca . I was slightly tired by then . As before the start I had to run about a mile to the start position . So It was about 9 mile altogether . As I only meant to run the 5mile race . So I'm glad to get back to cycling It's much easier . :hello:

Cycle To

Interested to read that you went over the new bridge over the Alderley Edge bypass. If the bypass is due to open soon, that must mean the Cheshire Cycleway diversion off Welsh Row will disappear. Yesssss!

We're so lucky to have all these back lanes, aren't we?

Hacienda71

I cycled over the bypass on Chelford Road and Brook Lane Alderley is open also so I would imagine that Welsh Row will open any day.

Zizag my Mum and Dad did the walk along the new bypass stretch the other Sunday. Missed it myself, very tempted to cycle along it outside the hours they are working on it but would probably get caught. :whistle:

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
F.a.o Cycle To .
Many thanks for your Interest.:biggrin:
From Wilmslow I used to run the old Wilmslow half marathon course .In the Mid eighties and thereafter . Along Soss moss lane upto Welsh row . Then left onto Congleton road , A34 . Back to Kings rd Wilmslow . Years later I went up Artists lane and found a back route to Alderley edge on the Macc rd /Prestbury rd . And left downhill on Oak rd to Mottram St Andrews .
This I used for years as a training area for my runs .
And now I use this area and all the other ajacent lanes to cycle round .
" We are very lucky to have all these country lanes In sunny cheshire . "
Cheers

OP
OP
Z

ZIZAG

Veteran
Hi Hacienda 71
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the Info on the bridges over the bypass . I have not cycled them yet . think Welsh row will probably open near or around the open date 19th November .
Glad your Mum & Dad did the walk . Ask them did they see a load of people all dressed up in red fancy dress outfits . The Charity was the Crohn's & Colities. Lead by a brass band . They made a lot of noise and could be heard from miles around . Well I was Shanghie'd Into the walk . But It was all worth It for a good cause .
P.S.
I went for a cycle on Monday around Cheshire .
( "Its great when your a pensioner you can go when you want ") A lovely mild day 12C . From Wilmslow I cycled out to our favourite route to Morley green ,Mobberley Newton Hall Lane across to Faulkners lane ,Pedley house lane . Martall lane Ollerton to Seven Sisters lane ..Smithy Green past the Crown pub Swan Green on the B5081 to stop for a rest and bite to eat at Shakerley Mere .
About 15 miles from Wilmslow . " Not been there for years "
The I decided to go back along the A50. ( " The dangerous busy road " ) Well It was O.K. Not much traffic . I wanted to look at Boundry Lake park. At Allostock . And do a recce on a couple of Campsites .
I called In to Woodlands Caravan & campsite . I asked prices for a lone cyclist to camp for a night . I was told . £14 . Yikes!!!!!. Out of season . I then found a brand new posh campsite behind the Drovers arms . Called 'Royal Vale'. the guy in charge quoted £ 19. extortionate . I could get camping at Edale for a fiver a night .It had gone 5 pm . And was pitch black by then .
So I cycled back to Ollerton to Warford then Paddock hill upto Barlow house farm & moor lane Oak Lane ,Kings Rd Wilmslow To Styal Rd /Station rd Sagars rd . End of a basing day out . And had lots of fun . Around mile trip . TTFN .

Top Bottom