Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulmh

I joined a few days ago and thanks to replies to my first posting from Tyred, I've saved a few quid by successfully wiring up to my dynamo when the bike shop advised me it wasn't working.
I've been cycling and motorcycling since I was a young kid and now in my retirement I'm having a bicycle built which is based on the design of the twin-tubed WW2 BSA Airbourne Bicycle (in post-war years renamed the Parabike). Although Pashley are making something similar called the Tuberider, it doesn't come in my size and doesn't fold like the original. Also I'm having Rohloff hub gears, disc brakes and belt drive, which are all a bit special. This is a nostalgic project from my point of view, as my first bicycle in the mid 1950's was a boy's version of the Airborne Bicycle and I loved it. I'll post about this project elsewhere on the forum if there is interest and also about a restoration project on a girl's version of the BSA which I'm about to embark upon for my granddaughter.
Best wishes and happy cycling!

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Hello, I'm new here too and the bike you are having built sounds fascinating. Unfortunately they don't make them like they used to. I'd love to find a real old vintage bike that I could restore. Good luck with your projects.

OP
OP
P

Paulmh

Hi David,
You probably know that there are older bicycles regularly offered on ebay. Of course, there's always a quandry over how far to go with restoration. If the original paint and transfers etc are intact, but worn and a bit rusty, do you risk losing all that authenticity by re-spraying? Opinions differ. If it's a highly collectable bike, original features are even more desirable. I once restored a BSA Bantam motorcycle to arguably better than new condition and I don't think that was a bad thing to do as they are not uncommon even today and it did look very good.
Best wishes,
Paul

Top Bottom