Hello....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rancid

Took 40 years but i have just caught the bug.

Got a new Job at the start of last November for a company who are part of the cycle to work scheme. I was spending the best part of £7 a day to travel for over an hour by train to cover a grand distance of 4.5 miles.

Something told me this just wasn't right and before i realised what was happening i was in the local bike shop (De Vers) and picked a very nice Charge Plug single speed.
She is gorgeous in light blue with a tan saddle/bar tape.

Have been doing the trip daily now since December, for an 18.5 stone very unfit chap i really do enjoy the ride. At 4.5 miles its a short ride and takes me 30mins or so, but i can feel it getting easier and easier. I'm sure the time will get shorter still.

No one warns you just how addictive this cycling habit is.

OP
OP
R

Rancid

One thing i forgot to mention.
I've read a couple of times that the tyres on my Plug are a little on the slow side (Kendal 28).
Recomendation is to change them over for Continental Gator Skins 28.

im somewhat adverse to removing a perfectly good set of tyres if the difference is only going to be minor.
if on the other hand it would be a noticeable difference, then id be more keen to do so.

daSmirnov

I've got a Charge Juicer here for my commuter! I need gears.:dry:

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing a set of almost new tyres, just let them wear themselves out and replace them then. Difference wise, maybe about 10% at slow speeds, even less once you're up over 10mph. But yeah if you're just riding on the road, might as well go for slicks next time.

But now you're saving 1800 quid a year, and 250 odd hours. That's a lot of money and time for more cycling. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rancid

I've got a Charge Juicer here for my commuter! I need gears.:dry:

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing a set of almost new tyres, just let them wear themselves out and replace them then. Difference wise, maybe about 10% at slow speeds, even less once you're up over 10mph. But yeah if you're just riding on the road, might as well go for slicks next time.

But now you're saving 1800 quid a year, and 250 odd hours. That's a lot of money and time for more cycling. :thumbsup:

Indeed...
i ordered a set of new tyres just after my first post.
however i do agree with you about taking off relatively new tyres, seems wastefull.
So what I will do is put the new ones away and keep my current ones until they are a bit more worn.

Top Bottom