helmet and visor for trikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

i think im going to have to spend time in my workshop and try and make a cheaper alternitive for trike users the best iv found out there so far are for petrol scotters the visors are spot on in size and shape buut the helmets are more like motorcycle ones and would be quite warm on a nice day but im sure i could use the idea and make a better one ^_^

either that or i could just get my welding goggles that fit nicly over my glasses and replace the lense on them im sure i wouldnt look that silly would i :crazy:

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes too warm if you are riding even on a cold day. However the visor is a good idea. I have a workshop one that has an elastic strap that goes around your head, I dare say you could fit if to a standard cycling helmet if you want.

I use spectacles and use an old pair on the trikes, I did have proper prescription wrap arounds (They have an insert for the prescription.) but they steamed up at every junction and traffic light so I gaveup on them. You really need to be able to lift the visor at will.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

iv got several pairs of old glasses that i wear when i welding and things as there is nothing worse than melted specs on your glases so old ones are used to save my everyday ones
but all my glasses are the same sort of style with small almost rectangular lenses they seem to suiet me and i feel comfy in them but there rubish at keeping any bugs of wind out from my eyes iv even had bugs fly into my eyes when im walking and its a lot worse when im cycling im sure my glases guide small flys into my eyes at times lol

classic33

Leg End Member
Is it for keeping bugs out of the eyes/mouth, the rain of the glasses or both.

Arco have a mesh visor, fits to a standard head mount, no helmet/hard hat. Its small and reinforced round the edge. If its too big you can always cut it down slightly. Intended for forestry work.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

its mainly to keep bugs and rain off my glasses / eyes
i have tried a mesh visor a few years ago i found that every now and then a nice juciy bug would fly into it and splat and i would get a lovely fine splatter of bug guts come threw the mesh. it looked like i had greeny brown freccals lol

classic33

Leg End Member
Small battery powered vacumn cleaner. Flexible hose attached to the outlet, in place of the dustbag.

Attach the other end to a system of tubes/one tube on the back of the helmet and have cool air blown across your head or down your face.

Keep one of the filters in place though!

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Small battery powered vacumn cleaner. Flexible hose attached to the outlet, in place of the dustbag.

Attach the other end to a system of tubes/one tube on the back of the helmet and have cool air blown across your head or down your face.

Keep one of the filters in place though!

i like that idea i was thinking of a scoop type arangment mounted to the front of the trike like an air scoop and then runing along the frame to a point near the seat that i could conect to but then it would be reliant on speed of travel. i much prefer your idea. in winter i could swap the hover for a hair dryier to warm the air ^_^:laugh:

im sure i remember seeing somwhere that some motor bikes have a for of AC which conects to special riding leathers to pump air around i think it was the honda goldwing but i may be wrong

classic33

Leg End Member
Idea used by me, for someone who worked as a welder.
A lot cheaper than the commercial version available. Not as pretty, but did the job.

OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Why bother with a helmet? A helmet might be some help in preventing head grazes and lacerations if you fall off your bike - but it's virtually impossible to fall off a recumbent trike. Frankly, if you're hit by a motor vehicle on s recumbent trike (again, very unlikely, given the 'WTF?!?!' factor) then a helmet isn't going to do much, as you'll be well outside the design parameters.

I tend to use a normal cap. It works fine. I've even been known to wear a Tilley hat.

im looking for a helmet mainly because where i have moved to the main rout i will be riding has a streach of main road that gets a lot of trafic zipping along it as it winds threw a wooded area. its the type of road with a small cross and bunches of flowers to mark an accident every few hundered yards,
i know its hard to fall off a trike but not inposible as i have done it (taking a courner to quick) its more for a bit of extra protection.

to be honest im not overly bothered with the helmet its more the visor i am looking for and the eisiest way is to have it on a helmet.

I have a casco speedster that has a visor (in fact I have 3 different ones for it, each with a different tint) I have been happy with it. Like yourself I bought it because I wear glasses and when it rains it makes things a little difficult to see. The visor has made the world of difference in those conditions and even snow. The two minor problems I have had are that when it is very cold and I stop moving, the visor steamed up, but I sorted this by applying a spray that I normally use on my motorcycle visor. The other problem was sweating when going up hills when the weather is a bit warm, there are 2 ways I have sorted this, first of all I just pulled the visor up on top of the helmet so I had air flow to my face, but recently I have found that by wearing a halo sweat band, the sweat no longer goes in my eyes so I can keep the visor down, even on long slow climbs. The helmet (with one visor) was £120 and the visors are £30 each.

Top Bottom