Helmet cam affects on observation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidtq

Something that just occured to me the other day when chatting with the inlaws. I pass my father in law everyday on my way home he's stuck in traffic im on the bike. I was showing him my helmet cam footage, and realised that since Ive had the helmet cam Ive not "noticed" him in the traffic queues. Prior to getting the helmet cam I waved to him as I passed every day.

I dont believe that my hazard awareness has gone down to compensate for me feeling safer from having the helmet cam. Im guessing that part of it is that im no longer noting colour and model of every car around me in case anything happens any more, and so familiar cars arent jumping out at me so much.

First day after talking to the inlaws again, I go on the look out for his car and sure enough there it is wave again.

Its kind of odd and Im sure its to do with the helmet cam, Im just not noting registrations and car details all the time, I feel more relaxed that if something does happen I will have the details I need on camera instead of memorising them on the fly...

Anyone else notice anything like this? Like I said I dont believe my hazard awareness has gone down, but Im not looking out for identifiable descriptions of vehicles around me all the time.

I noticed the one time I really need the recording from my camera I got home, still cursing, to find the stupid thing wasn't on! So Mr Bus Driver isn't on Youtube.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Lord of the Teapot said:
I noticed the one time I really need the recording from my camera I got home, still cursing, to find the stupid thing wasn't on! So Mr Bus Driver isn't on Youtube.

Ah, sod's law. LIke stuff only happens the day your batteries go flat...

Interesting observation David. I honestly don't think my cam has affected my perception of things around me, but I don't have a benchmark like yours to measure by, it's true. I do find that when stopped I wave the camera around a bit, excentuating with my head the movements I'd be making with my eyes anyway (looking for the various traffic light phases, watching people crossing in front of me etc)

I think there will be more people getting them - I know of two or three people either considering it, or who have one on order, having seen mine. Of course it will plateau out eventually, but in the meantime, the borgs will multiply!;)

OP
OP
D

davidtq

Arch said:
Ah, sod's law. LIke stuff only happens the day your batteries go flat...

Interesting observation David. I honestly don't think my cam has affected my perception of things around me, but I don't have a benchmark like yours to measure by, it's true. I do find that when stopped I wave the camera around a bit, excentuating with my head the movements I'd be making with my eyes anyway (looking for the various traffic light phases, watching people crossing in front of me etc)

I think there will be more people getting them - I know of two or three people either considering it, or who have one on order, having seen mine. Of course it will plateau out eventually, but in the meantime, the borgs will multiply!:wacko:

I dont think its stopping me seeing things and registering them as hazards, just instead of seeing magenta transit with sign writing saying xyz builders, im just seeing "van" and not "registering" specific details. if anything I guess it free's up thinking time to concentrate more on hazards.

Certainly cyclists I have shown my helmet cam to think its a great idea :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
D

davidtq

BentMikey said:
The important question is how much detail do you need to register about any particular vehicle for normal and safe traffic skills?

size, direction, speed, indications, variations in lane position, temprement

All of those do get taken in still I believe, I dont believe my former habit of constantly looking for police report details was necesary or even conductive to greater road safety.

It was just odd to notice the change. I believe the helmet cam helps me feel more relaxed in my ride I dont feel as if someones going to do a hit and run or lie and me not have witness's etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, today I had my wits about me enough to memorise the York Council pickup lorry YB 55 VUM as he overtook me with a foot to spare, in the face of an oncoming van, only to turn right into a depot - total time gained actually none because I was along side him as he turned.

Came out beautifully on video, but I won't put it up before I've sent it to the Council and asked them if their drivers are trained apes. Or words to that effect.:smile:

Tynan

Veteran
I'm teetering, actioncameras (I think) is doing the 2k for change from £80, can;t really argue with that

I've never seen anyone with one, that said they're quite dinky aren't they so perhaps I just don't notice them

gotta do it, I'm losing a classic bit of footage every single week

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
I'm teetering, actioncameras (I think) is doing the 2k for change from £80, can;t really argue with that

I've never seen anyone with one, that said they're quite dinky aren't they so perhaps I just don't notice them

gotta do it, I'm losing a classic bit of footage every single week

Go to Decathlon. Their camera is £69 and it IS the ATC2000, except the light flash around the middle is black.
If you have passed someone wearing one you will have noticed. It is not as small as the one in the link, and on my helmet it stands out. I will try it on the handle bars soon, but that won't give the felxibility of views.

Top Bottom