Helmet damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was out last wednesday and dropped the bike, hitting the back of my head as I went down on loose gravel. Apart from gravel rash and the odd scrape, I have a bit of whiplash on the left side.........

BUT, in the tumble, I put a small crease in the back of my MET Ippogriffo helmet (and bent the rear mech)

Question. Should I replace my helmet ? There is no obvious damage to the foam padding, but there is a small gap (about 4mm max) between the shell and one area of the foam. I don't think it had a bad enough knock to justify the expense of replacement, but I am not an expert on helmet performance.

What do you think?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
That lid has done its work. Retire it honourably and replace it. It may not do its job next time.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You see what they do? They give you whiplash. Don't replace it, just bin it.

See also here.

All we need now is a good mass debate on RLJ-ing and we're all set.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It needs to be replaced. I think Met have a crash replacement warranty on their helmets so you should be able to get a replacement cheaper then full price

Norm

Paul Walters said:
There is no obvious damage to the foam padding, but there is a small gap (about 4mm max) between the shell and one area of the foam.
**Warning** **Warning** Illogical sentence detected **Warning** **Warning**

That 4mm gap is exactly what "obvious damage" looks like. That is the result of the foam compressing as it slows your skull.

Gerry Attrick said:
That lid has done its work. Retire it honourably and replace it. It may not do its job next time.
+1

levad

Veteran
I too damaged my helmet at the weekend (see thread in Road Rides etc. about Great Western Sportive). I think it is clear that my helmet should be replaced (see picture)!

I've replaced it anyway as it was around 7 years old. Got a nive new Giro Venti from the local Tredz store. About the only thing they had that fitted me to be honest.

On a point of note, I hit the back of my head on the ground as I fell onto my right arm and shoulder. I think without the hat on I'd have had a nasty jolt.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
levad said:
I too damaged my helmet at the weekend (see thread in Road Rides etc. about Great Western Sportive). I think it is clear that my helmet should be replaced (see picture)!

Naaaaaaaah, bit of duct tape, it will be fine :rofl:

Top Bottom