Helmet fixable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Crafty by Planet X today - one of the strap lockdowns broke on a Carnac helmet new earlier this year. Contacted them and was told they would send a replacement helmet only then to get a Paypal refund and then a further comment that they had refunded instead so I could order a new one (plus all that lovely P&P of theirs)

Mike_P

Guru
Looks like I now have both Carnac helmets to bin now as only one if the four strap lockdowns is now intact. No spares seem to be available to buy. Bontranger sell theres. I presume they would fit but at £5 each rather cost prohibitive against the helmets value and life left.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I'd fix that with a cable tie, it's only to hold the two sides of the head size adjuster together, and the adjustment will still work as far as I can see.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of the lockdowns broke on my carnac too. But seeing as I dont usudlly wear a plastic lid, it was pretty cheap and I only bought it for a Spanish tour, I binned it afterwards.
Should have thought to have kept the other lockdown for the spares box.

Mike_P

Guru
I'd fix that with a cable tie, it's only to hold the two sides of the head size adjuster together, and the adjustment will still work as far as I can see.

Suppose it would work but to get it hold tight enough the straps would need to bunch up which I think would be irritating wearing the helmet.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
One of the lockdowns broke on my carnac too. But seeing as I dont usudlly wear a plastic lid, it was pretty cheap and I only bought it for a Spanish tour, I binned it afterwards.
Should have thought to have kept the other lockdown for the spares box.

mine broke too about a month ago so i binned the lid , gone back to my old btwin lid for commuting .

Mike_P

Guru
Gone for another MET helmet - bought one last year to replace the orignally failed Carnac one which fits great. Like to have a spare in case one get a soaking and in winter leave the straps adjusted on one for use with a hood.

Mike_P

Guru
Had second thoughts and retrieved the Carnac helmets from bin (they were in their own sealed bag) and put them in the shed as bits off others may become available over time. The MET helmet I currently have uses Y links rather than a lockdown on the straps and I note you can buy them through Ali Express. This being one example https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004511905417.html

Anyone ever used that source?

Top Bottom