Helmet lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Are they a good thing?
Definitely not as an alternative to conventional lighting on the bike, lights should be on the vehicle, not hovering a metre above the vehicle.
My closest shave ever with a cyclist occurred whilst attempting to cross a busy city street on foot at night. I looked both ways as you do, and stepped on to the road and avoided a collision by a very narrow margin. I had looked along the road at the level of conventional vehicle lighting and not seen the light in the sky on the approaching cyclists helmet.

Last edited:
Personally my lights on the bike are sufficient and the backlight on my Wahoo means I can do without it. I also don’t use a helmet so a little head torch over my cap does the trick.
Am confused as to why the fact that it's on your cap rather than a helmet changes the issues - possibly personal injury/blinding of others with a light at eye height.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 2 exposure joysticks for the front of my bike. One sits in my bag as a spare. I have never used it.

I have 3 rear lights. 2 on the bike and one one the helmet. I usually ride with the helmet and a bike light on.

Jody

Stubborn git
Lights on lids should be kept for off road trail riding only. I can't see any benefit of using one on the road. Even off road they can be a nightmare as no body dims them when riding towards you and you get blinded when everyone looks at you to say thanks.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Am confused as to why the fact that it's on your cap rather than a helmet changes the issues - possibly personal injury/blinding of others with a light at eye height.

Sigh. The fact I use/wear it when off the bike when stopped (as I said) doesn’t seem like there’s much chance of any trauma. It sits in the gadget bag on my top tube.

Now THAT runs the risk of a smart knock to the nuts if I’m not careful.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a reservoir near me that's very popular with cyclists and with joggers. It means that you get stupid bright head torches on one side and stupid bright bike lights on the other. It's dazzling and hazardous to ride through. Thing is, if everybody switched their lights off, or at the very least used a red filter, our eyesight would very quickly adapt, we'd all be perfectly able to see where we're going, and we might even be able to enjoy the night-time countryside. As it is, it's just a horrible experience.

I'm not really convinced of the need for lights on a bike at all. They're handy if it's dark and you want to ride at a quick pace but for slower paced riding or especially in built up areas I just don't think they're necessary.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a reservoir near me that's very popular with cyclists and with joggers. It means that you get stupid bright head torches on one side and stupid bright bike lights on the other. It's dazzling and hazardous to ride through. Thing is, if everybody switched their lights off, or at the very least used a red filter, our eyesight would very quickly adapt, we'd all be perfectly able to see where we're going, and we might even be able to enjoy the night-time countryside. As it is, it's just a horrible experience.

I'm not really convinced of the need for lights on a bike at all. They're handy if it's dark and you want to ride at a quick pace but for slower paced riding or especially in built up areas I just don't think they're necessary.
Presumably you mean helmet lights not any lights? Even in lit areas, an unlit bike can be hard to see until it’s right upon you in my experience

Sigh. The fact I use/wear it when off the bike when stopped (as I said) doesn’t seem like there’s much chance of any trauma. It sits in the gadget bag on my top tube.

Now THAT runs the risk of a smart knock to the nuts if I’m not careful.
sigh - it wasn't entirely clear what you meant from the way you wrote your post - it wandered somewhat.

Top Bottom