Helmet lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Shoot! How close does a cyclist have to be for their head to be above the windscreen?

About 25 metres . This is then compunded by the light only pointing at the motorist for 10% of the time.

The helmet light suits some people - fine use them if you like, but if you want to be seen use bike mounted lights as well. If you don't, and you get hit don't blame the driver (incidentally the courts will hold you responsible as well so you'll get no compensation and have to pay for repairs to the car).

Davidc

Guru
There is a certain misconception about lights.....

Drivers should see the lights some several hundred or so yards before they get close enough for a helmet light to be invisible through the roof!

Fine provided your head is pointing the right way (vertically and horizontally) when the driver is looking your way - which will be the case with a fixed light.

from personal experience I know full well that helmet mounted lights have no value whatsoever as lights to be seen by. Fixed lights are the way to be seen.

The law is clear too. You must have lights fixed to the bike. Clearly if you don't and you are in a collision at night it is going to be ruled as 100% your fault.

I am NOT saying that helmet lights shouldn't be used, only that additional separate lights, of the be seen rather than see by type need to be on the bike after dark.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
About 25 metres . This is then compunded by the light only pointing at the motorist for 10% of the time.

The helmet light suits some people - fine use them if you like, but if you want to be seen use bike mounted lights as well. If you don't, and you get hit don't blame the driver (incidentally the courts will hold you responsible as well so you'll get no compensation and have to pay for repairs to the car).

I dont think there was any conception on anyone's part that helmet lights would replace the lights on the bike. ;)

Fine provided your head is pointing the right way (vertically and horizontally) when the driver is looking your way - which will be the case with a fixed light.

from personal experience I know full well that helmet mounted lights have no value whatsoever as lights to be seen by. Fixed lights are the way to be seen.

The law is clear too. You must have lights fixed to the bike. Clearly if you don't and you are in a collision at night it is going to be ruled as 100% your fault.

I am NOT saying that helmet lights shouldn't be used, only that additional separate lights, of the be seen rather than see by type need to be on the bike after dark.

My lights on the bike consist of a £20 set of BS6102/3 "Bobby Dodgers" to make my lights legal and backed up by a Dinotte rear and a 720 lumens front.... and still some Portsmouth drivers cannot see them!

Davidc

Guru
My lights on the bike consist of a £20 set of BS6102/3 "Bobby Dodgers" to make my lights legal and backed up by a Dinotte rear and a 720 lumens front.... and still some Portsmouth drivers cannot see them!
Tell me about it! After a near miss on an unlit country road last spring a driver wound down his window and said "sorry I didn't see you in the dark". I had an Electron flasher on the head tube, a CYO 60 on the fork crown, and a EL530 on the handlebars. I'd have been less surprised if he'd said I'd dazzled him.

OP
OP
G

geo

Thanks for all the advice guys,after some consideration the policemans helmet wins it :smile: :smile:

and yes the helmet light idea is mosty definately in addition to bike mounted lights not instead of.

George

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Not sure what they are like but came across these whilst looking for front lights. Helmet lights, busch & muller £19.99

http://www.magicshin...gory=6&p=1&so=0

some good kit on there...
000019_l1.jpg

Sorry, but I've tried them and can't recommend. Real problems with water resistance. Nice idea but, in reality, just doesn't cut the mustard.

Top Bottom