Helmet recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnb

Veteran
Without wishing to start any helmet / no helmet discussions.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for in a cycle helmet. Last time I rode some 25 years ago I never bothered, I don't think anyone did. But as I've just got back on to two wheels and would expect my wee lad to wear one I can hardly not wear one. So ... what should I look for, apart from the obvious of 'does it fit'.

(editted for typos)

monkeypony

To be honest, fit is the ONLY thing you need to worry about. Everything else is just cosmetic.

SlowSpoke

All helmets must meet the same standards. So, get a great looking one and you'll be more likely to wear it.
OR, if the looks of the helmet are unimportant, just opt for the least expensive.

I echo the comments of others, but on the subject of fit please do some research. I see plenty of adults, as well as children, with helmets perched on the backs of their heads. A look in the current edition of Cycling Active magazine shows many riders with huge amounts of forehead exposed, despite the helmet appearing to sit level on the head. Forehead coverage is crucial, as the frontal cortex is where your personality is located. Don't just take the word of the assistant in the shop, as they may not be aware of how a helmet should fit - do your homework first.

Oh - welcome back to cycling after the short break!

mightyquin

I was in Decathlon last night getting a few spares, and they had decent looking helments for a tenner. I wish I'd bought one now (I do wear one, but it doesn't fit as snug as the Decathlon one did).

Top Bottom