Helmet Size ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

Looking to buy a new helmet, never owned one before. I have been looking to buy one over t'internet and the sizes just say Small, Medium or large.

How do I know what size I need. What measurements does a small, medium or large helmet equate to? (OOOEEErRRR missus etc. etc.)

Cheers,
Jim

Try before you buy!

As above - I wear Specialized or Giro, but cannot wear MET because they are too short and give me headaches.

Comfort and fit are two of the most important factors, the other is the protection. Higher cost does not necessarily guarantee better performance or protection.

There is a break down of standards here

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try some on in a few shops, see what fits best. The more expensive ones do have a better retention system - look for those that have the rear 'roc loc' type retainers that go well below the "knobble" on the back of your skull (pardon the lack of medical knowledge)

Monkey Boy

Tried on umpteen the other day inc. Spesh (reasonably comfy) and MET (square peg / round hole).....ended up getting another Giro. I reckons it is a try em before you buy em jobber.

simoncc

It would be better for you to try the thing on before buying it. Helmet sizes differ from maker to maker, just like all clothing. My head is large, but most large size helmets are too small. I always but Giro helmets as their large size is bigger than other makes. I have the same problem with motorbike helmets.

Circumference is not a good measure of head size!

A circle and an oval can have the same circumference.

I cannot recommend strongly enough the TRY BEFORE YOU BUY message.

Each manufacturer has a different shape and this affects the width, length and depth of the "hole".

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Cunobelin said:
Circumference is not a good measure of head size!

A circle and an oval can have the same circumference.

I cannot recommend strongly enough the TRY BEFORE YOU BUY message.

Each manufacturer has a different shape and this affects the width, length and depth of the "hole".

Bollocks.

OK the gold standard is to try before you buy but some of us do not have a lbs and need to buy of the internet (as asked by the OP). I have bought everything from helmets through shoes to shorts / jerseys online and never had a problem with fit. Do you perhaps live in a city?

Oldlegs said:
Bollocks.

OK the gold standard is to try before you buy but some of us do not have a lbs and need to buy of the internet (as asked by the OP). I have bought everything from helmets through shoes to shorts / jerseys online and never had a problem with fit. Do you perhaps live in a city?

Glad to see such an informed educated and erudite contribution to the thread.

If you are one of the lucky ones that can wear any helmet then fine, but this forum is here to offer advice. Yours is to spend up to £100 without knowing whether it will fit or be comfortable, personally - I don't have your confidence that this is the case, and as a poor fit will compromise the effectiveness of the helmet I feel that this is a very dangerous assumption.

I and many others have had the experience of helmets that do not fit or cause problems. Hence the sound advice - TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

You do not need an LBS at all. Ask other riders!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
worth considering whether you will need to wear a hat etc under it in winter too (obviously it will need to be bigger for that).

i got a giro helmet that fits perfectly at its smallest setting, so in winter, when winter cap thingy gets worn too, there's plenty of room and it still fits.

Keith Oates

Janner
I've just bought a new helmet, it was a Trek, and reading the instructions that came with it suprised me.

Quote.
Do not wear anything under the helmet such as cap, scarf or hood. Also do not wrap long hair on top of the head under the helmet. Anything under the helmet may make it it more likely to come off in an accident. Unquote

This suprised me as I've seen many doing just that, even the Pro's during triinig rides in the winter or cold weather!!!

Abitrary

johnr said:
Was in Halfords on Saturday. They seem to have wodened their selection of helmets. You could go and try some without feeling guilty about going on-line to get the one you fancy cheaper when you've checked the fit.

DO NOT BUY A HALFORDS HELMET. ESPECIALLY THE TRAX RANGE.

The straps are just crap. You know how you see Tour de France riders and the straps just seem to hug their faces? Well the halfords ones are the opposite. Gristling and twisting and gnawing at your chin and sanity on a long ride.

Leave well alone.

Top Bottom