Helmet standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Riding in Circles
  1. ^ Grant and Smiley, "Driver response to antilock brakes: a demonstration on behavioural adaptation" from Proceedings, Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference VIII, June 14–16, Saskatchewan 1993.
  2. ^ Sagberg, Fosser, and Saetermo, "An investigation of behavioural adaptation to airbags and antilock brakes among taxi drivers" Accident Analysis and Prevention #29 pp 293-302 1997.
  3. ^ Aschenbrenner and Biehl, "Improved safety through improved technical measures? empirical studies regarding risk compensation processes in relation to anti-lock braking systems". In Trimpop and Wilde, Challenges to Accident Prevention: The issue of risk compensation behaviour (Groningen, NL, Styx Publications, 1994).
Here are three links to studies which show risk compensation in actio.

I don't think they have any mention of cycling helmets, and I have never seen any mention of the authors' names in relation to helmet studies.
Risk compensation is an established theory in many areas other than cycle helmets.
This is a discussion about cycle helmets, it is even in the helmet debate section.

Nantmor

This is a discussion about cycle helmets, it is even in the helmet debate section.
I thought that your remark that you thought risk compensation was a myth was general. May we take it you accept risk compensation, except in the case of cycle helmets? If so, why?
The studies I link to are evidence of the effect of RC. They are not made by anti helmet partisans.

On the basis that these reports are invariably produced by people with an agenda against helmet use and on the basis that I ride exactly the same with or without a helmet.

Most of the research has nothing to do with helmets but is across enough areas of human activity to indicate it is an instinctive human response. What research there has been on cycle helmets is enough to indicate it applies also to cycling.

And although you may be very good at countering it the very fact that many people say they wouldn't cycle without a helmet shows risk compensation is very real in many people.

Nantmor

On the basis that these reports are invariably produced by people with an agenda against helmet use and on the basis that I ride exactly the same with or without a helmet.
Do you have any particular biased studies in mind? I'd be interested in the basis for your "invariably".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom