Helmet torches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Indeed. This evening, I went into a pitch black car park about half a mile away from my house just to test my light setup on the bike. The camera picked up the rear lights, side reflectors, and front light but when I tried to view the beam from my front light (even on high beam) the camera didnt pick up anything. I had even adjusted the exposure level on my Contour to max 4 (-1 for daylight).

The Alpkit Gamma looks good.
Oh yes, I know, been there done that got all the lights to prove it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 1986780, member: 9609"]Well from my experience they sit their stationary, like little rabbits caught in the glare of an inbound Ferrari. After fitting the following last winter (£4.99 from yorkshire trading company), not one single vehicle pulled out in front of me.
headlight.jpg

The intense bright light high off the ground gives the impression of a freight train, and even discovery drivers shy from pulling out in front of them[/quote]

Do tell me you don't really have this on your helmet ?:giggle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I use the Alpkit Gamma, it sits on my forehead under the helmet rather than being mounted on the helmet. Excellent beam and great VFM too.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
[QUOTE 1986780, member: 9609"]Well from my experience they sit their stationary, like little rabbits caught in the glare of an inbound Ferrari. After fitting the following last winter (£4.99 from yorkshire trading company), not one single vehicle pulled out in front of me.
headlight.jpg

The intense bright light high off the ground gives the impression of a freight train, and even discovery drivers shy from pulling out in front of them[/quote]
Inspired and very funny:crazy:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi Norm,
See the:giggle: That's a giggle, that is. Unlike quoting the Highway Code.

So what does that mean? That you weren't being serious or you were being serious but had a cheeky grin while saying it?
Since I find these smiley things ambiguous I chose to address what you wrote in words.

Your objection might be to high powered lights but you brought it up in a thread about helmet lights and it appears that you were confusing the two.

No, I'm not confusing anything, I've only been talking about helmet lights. You've misinterpreted my post.

High powered lights might dazzle, but that IMO, is more likely to happen with overpowered front lights which cannot be directed, rather than a head-light which only goes where you point it.

A helmet light goes everywhere you point your head, my fixed bike lights are just that - fixed.

I have powerful fixed front lights and have no problem in aligning them to illuminate the road ahead for my commute. Mine don't move from their fixed positions so don't dazzle anyone. How you can think that's more likley to dazzle others than a powerful light on what's effectively a constantly moving universal joint beats me.

When I used to wear a helmet, I used a small LED light on it that was bright enough to be seen over the tops of cars but which didn't blind anyone I happened to point my head at.

.. The head light allows me to throw as much light as I need exactly where I need it - 5m in front at low speed, 50m in front when making progress.

It also means you're throwing light where it will be a problem for others, unless you never look over your shoulder, or make eye contact with drivers emerging from junctions, or position yourself in the mirror of a large vehicle to make sure its driver knows where you are etc..

GC

Norm

My bike points straight ahead whether that direction includes a car emerging from a side road, a car entering a roundabout, a car approaching on a left hand bend or not.

Conversely, I can move my eyes without moving my head (your example of following cars is particularly strained) and it took abut 2 seconds to get used to directing the head torch exactly where I want the light to fall.

Top Bottom