Helmets and Competitive Hill Climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last year or the year before I rode down one in the Surrey Hills - it just happened to be on my route. Lots of cowbells and merriment and people grimacing in dreadful distress riding up the hill. I didn't have a clue what was going on so I had a chat with the people at the bottom who assured me that I would love it if I entered the next one. I didn't believe them. I told them I'd think about it. I was lying.
I like racing so I deliberately visited at least two, to be one of the people with cowbells and merriment. :-) But I've not been to one or any other time trial since CTT adopted their low-evidence helmet rule even for hill climbs, where the risk of rider overheating surely outweighs the risk of a fall, and overheating further increases the fall risk, while helmet use increases the risk of a driver hitting the rider. I doubt I'll go to one again. Irrational zealots are ruining the sport and its traditions.
 
But I've not been to one or any other time trial since CTT adopted their low-evidence zero-evidence* helmet rule even for hill climbs, ...
...
Irrational zealots are ruining the sport cycling
FTFY!

*The reason they gave for the helmet motion was "for the mental health of helpers/volunteers". :laugh:
 

Legs

usually riding on Zwift or up steep hills...
Location
Staffordshire
I like racing so I deliberately visited at least two, to be one of the people with cowbells and merriment. :-) But I've not been to one or any other time trial since CTT adopted their low-evidence helmet rule even for hill climbs, where the risk of rider overheating surely outweighs the risk of a fall, and overheating further increases the fall risk, while helmet use increases the risk of a driver hitting the rider. I doubt I'll go to one again. Irrational zealots are ruining the sport and its traditions.

You are aware, I take it, that competitors in HCs nearly always ride down hills, too, either before or after competing? And on some climbs, like the Cat & Fiddle or the Struggle, there are substantial downhill stretches?

The public perception of cycle racing is bad enough already without anti-helmet zealots!
 
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You are aware, I take it, that competitors in HCs nearly always ride down hills, too, either before or after competing? And on some climbs, like the Cat & Fiddle or the Struggle, there are substantial downhill stretches?

The public perception of cycle racing is bad enough already without anti-helmet zealots!
The hill climbs I watched, competitors took a different, shallower route down. In one case, riding down the course would obstruct riders on course and probably risk taking out a spectator watching the current racer.

But it doesn't matter much because helmets only offer impact protection, not improved outcome expectation. That's why they used the "mental health" reason to avoid looking into the abyss evidence.
 

Legs

usually riding on Zwift or up steep hills...
Location
Staffordshire
The hill climbs I watched, competitors took a different, shallower route down. In one case, riding down the course would obstruct riders on course and probably risk taking out a spectator watching the current racer.

But it doesn't matter much because helmets only offer impact protection, not improved outcome expectation. That's why they used the "mental health" reason to avoid looking into the abyss evidence.

Keep telling yourself that! Personally, given the choice of impact protection vs no impact protection, I know which one I'd take, thanks!
 

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
The hill climbs I watched, competitors took a different, shallower route down. In one case, riding down the course would obstruct riders on course and probably risk taking out a spectator watching the current racer.

But it doesn't matter much because helmets only offer impact protection, not improved outcome expectation. That's why they used the "mental health" reason to avoid looking into the abyss evidence.

I crashed at the Manchester velodrome years back. Full frontal head impact that split the helmet clean through in six places. I didn't even have a concussion. No helmet and I'd have been dead. If you have a direct head impact whilst wearing a helmet the impact protection is the improved outcome.
 

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
oh wow. Two posts in the last ten that read like a caricature of helmet warriors! Worryingly, I think both posters are entirely serious ... :biggrin:

What a strange post. Are you suggesting that a helmet does not save lives of people with head impacts? If so, why were safety helmets ever invented?
 
What a strange post. Are you suggesting that a helmet does not save lives of people with head impacts? If so, why were safety helmets ever invented?

You'll have to be more specific than that, please.

Meanwhile, to your earlier post:
Full frontal head impact that split the helmet clean through in six places. I didn't even have a concussion.
A split helmet has done you negligible favours. Read the maker's spiel - they do NOT protect you in this way.

Now concussions: are you aware of what the makers' study showed about how well they prevent concussions?

No helmet and I'd have been dead.
I think that's very unlikely, as you've brought it up. My very own recent head-injury is a good a counter-anecdote as any. (How common were velodrome fatalities before modern helmets.) Prove it!
 

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
You'll have to be more specific than that, please.

Meanwhile, to your earlier post:

A split helmet has done you negligible favours. Read the maker's spiel - they do NOT protect you in this way.

Now concussions: are you aware of what the makers' study showed about how well they prevent concussions?


I think that's very unlikely, as you've brought it up. My very own recent head-injury is a good a counter-anecdote as any. (How common were velodrome fatalities before modern helmets.) Prove it!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0925753517302059
 

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Moderator
Location
Glasgow
Mod Note:
As this thread has stopped discussing hill climbs in favor of discussing helmets, I shall move it to the moderated helmet section, changing the title.
If you like, you can restart another hill climbing thread, minus the helmet argument.
Cheers from the mods.
 
Top Bottom