Helmets and Competitive Hill Climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Location
The Urban Fringe
I crashed at the Manchester velodrome years back. Full frontal head impact that split the helmet clean through in six places. I didn't even have a concussion. No helmet and I'd have been dead. If you have a direct head impact whilst wearing a helmet the impact protection is the improved outcome.

In the interests of balance I've also augered in head first without a lid and also did not receive a concussion. No helmet and I also wasn't dead. My pelvis ended up in several pieces, although thats by the by here.

Im not coming down on either side of the helmet debate - thats for grown ups to decide for themselves. What I am doing is pointing out that in the science of statistics a correlation coefficient of one single example is utterly meaningless.

One would hope the organisers employed a statistician for a proper analysis of historic overheating incidents, historic head injury incidents, and then came to an informed decision as to the necessity. Or more likely they just decided to do it one day bedause thats what the other disciplines are doing.
 

midlandsgrimpeur

Über Member
Well, on a hill climb note, I commit to riding the Maxstoke HC next year*

*providing it starts no earlier than 10am 😂
 
Why not separate out the antihelmet drivel ?
Good call.

So now we're here, I'll post the correct text of the helmet compulsion proposal that started all this:

Protective Helmets

Regulation 15 (page 341 of 2020 handbook)
In the first line, delete the words “under the age of 18 years and/or juniors” and in the last line of this paragraph delete “(or parent or guardian if the rider is under 18 years of age)”.

Explanation: It should be compulsory for all competitors irrespective of age to wear a helmet. Helmet wearing has in the past been considered a “personal choice”, but the welfare of clubs and organisers is important as they are the providers of the opportunities to compete.


posted by mjr in a different web forum (and sadly the URL he cites is now defunct).
 
Top Bottom