Helmets in Spain: €100 fine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
That's Spain off the list of possible destinations for a cycling holiday then. Which obviously includes Majorca and the Canary Islands, both of which I have previously enjoyed.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I rode hatless around bits of BC, Canada a year or so ago without any idea about any plastic hat law, and no one bothered me at all. Even riding through central Vancouver over several days. The folks in one cycle hire place offered me an old, very smelly, sweaty plastic hat, the use of which I politely declined.

I would just carry on riding lidless in Spain too and sod any silly law.

Last edited:

Crandoggler

Why don't you just wear one if you want to ride there? Or is it just out of principle for your beliefs/medical reason/science/comfort/*insert generic argument for not wearing one?

I'd have no problem wearing a helmet, hi viz, lights, bell, reflectors, anything really to enjoy a bike ride. Whilst I don't agree with a certain rules, it's what defines a country, and I guess they have every right to enforce what they want.

This is a very good reason why we should all support Brexit. Spain is broke with the adoption of Euro and it try to squeeze money of out poor cyclists. We go to Europe because there are no border control. Said the Brexit campaign.
The remain said, we must stay within EU and fight for this unfair rule and to have Europe wide law on helmet.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've been cycling locally in northern Spain for a week without a helmet. I'll be seriously pįssed off if I get collared.

I don't understand your reasoning. If you know that the law says you must wear a helmet and you don't, surely you must think yourself fortunate that you have not been caught his week. You know the score, you take the risk, you get caught and then you whinge about it. That sounds a bit lame.

In exactly the same way that every driver caught by a speed camera takes it on the chin and pays up without a murmur?
Should ditch speeding altogether. Just go straight for undue care and attention.

Excessive speed is undue care. And certainly lacking attention if they don't see a big yellow box.

Because it's not the speed you get done for. It's the speed and not paying enough attention of what's around you to realise the police are watching.

If people can't see a police car. Big yellow box etc. Then what hope does a cyclist have?

Kajjal

Guru
What is this obsession with helmets ?

If you want to wear one or not that is up to you.

Going abroad and breaking laws is something very different.

Brains

Legendary Member
This is a very good reason why we should all support Brexit. Spain is broke with the adoption of Euro and it try to squeeze money of out poor cyclists. We go to Europe because there are no border control. Said the Brexit campaign.
The remain said, we must stay within EU and fight for this unfair rule and to have Europe wide law on helmet.

That is assuming Spain is prepared to give you an entry visa to visit the country, and you can afford to go once it gets to the number of Pounds to buy a single Euro exchange rate.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't understand your reasoning. If you know that the law says you must wear a helmet and you don't, surely you must think yourself fortunate that you have not been caught his week. You know the score, you take the risk, you get caught and then you whinge about it.
But the law does not say you must wear a helmet, it's a little more complicated than that, people do not "know the score".

Spain 2004 Required on interurban routes except when going uphill or in very hot weather, or for professional cyclists.

"The Spanish helmet law came into effect from 23rd January 2004. It applies to bicycle riders of all ages. However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists."

Top Bottom