Helmets in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I can't recall the last time i saw a cyclist on TV* not wearing a helmet, or in any of the local 'celebrating cycling' guides... it's no wonder us 'non-wearers' find ourselves having to explain ourselves so often.

* 21st century TV that is

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
2889656 said:
Essex Police, along with everyone else, don't have access to any information to support any belief that helmets are an effective provision in road safety.
They, along with everyone else, rely on the belief that it is self evident, stands to reason, etc.

It is odd what self belief can do. I don't know if they help or not but if you do an Internet search for the pros and cons it is surprising how divided the whole thing is.

It is not as black and white as I thought it would be.

Steve

Shirley if you put your helmet in a press it would become a flat cap ant therefore incapable of anacdotally saving your life?

dm hit the nail on the head [not even meant to be in the slightest pun-ish]. Whilst touring the Netherlands the only helmet wearers were the pro kit wearing, lycra clad MAMILS, the same as it is in the UK. It's basically copy cat stuff, aided and abetted by the media because if the pros do it then it must be correct, this could not be further from the truth.
As far as I know I don't see hospitals collating data on head injuries to helmet wearers, is this kept hidden [conspiracy theory]?
Very, very few road cyclists around here ride without a helmet and it has reached the point where we enjoy being "different". In fact this thread has stimulated me into looking for a new cycling cap to bring my collection to 16 :smile:.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
There was a BBC prog a while ago where a researcher (working in the Netherlands) rode to London.

IIRC she was helmetless in the NL, but for some obscure reason was hi-viz-ed up and helmeted as soon as she got off the ferry in Harwich......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23611650

Edit: here it is.

Never realised I could hate a person as much as the man about 8:30 in.......

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There was a BBC prog a while ago where a researcher (working in the Netherlands) rode to London.

IIRC she was helmetless in the NL, but for some obscure reason was hi-viz-ed up and helmeted as soon as she got off the ferry in Harwich......
coz cycling is much safer in Holland innit... over here we're taking our life in our hands

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's all crafty marketing by someone.

There does not seem to be the ambiguity with motorcycle helmets, so it is a wonder that the EU boffins don't have us cycling in skid lids.

Steve

Ern1e

Über Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23611650

Edit: here it is.

Never realised I could hate a person as much as the man about 8:30 in.......

I just wonder if the good old beeb had to do an health and saftey risk assesment ? hence the hi-viz, helmet etc once leaving the ferry over here lol.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
OMG who is that guy???
Someone I'd love to introduce to the fine art of Muay Thai....

The one 'critical mass' ride I'd like to go on is where thousands of cyclists meet up on the outskirts of London, then drive their 'cars' into the centre of London - with their bikes on racks, and big signs saying, "You are stuck behind a cyclist that did as instructed and got a car instead...!"

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I can't recall the last time i saw a cyclist on TV* not wearing a helmet, or in any of the local 'celebrating cycling' guides... it's no wonder us 'non-wearers' find ourselves having to explain ourselves so often.

* 21st century TV that is
There was a thing that Chris Boardman did here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25401334. I'm not certain whether the whole piece was shown on TV but I think I've seen at least some of it. A very deliberate choice to go hatless.

I think I also remember seeing a piece featuring Alexei Sayle riding around London without a helmet but I'll check.

EDIT: Oh, it's a Guardian thing - http://www.theguardian.com/travel/v...i-sayle-bloomsbury-festival-london-bike-video

and... http://www.theguardian.com/travel/video/2011/may/12/alexei-sayle-cycling-in-london

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Someone I'd love to introduce to the fine art of Muay Thai....

The one 'critical mass' ride I'd like to go on is where thousands of cyclists meet up on the outskirts of London, then drive their 'cars' into the centre of London - with their bikes on racks, and big signs saying, "You are stuck behind a cyclist that did as instructed and got a car instead...!"
That is a brilliant idea. but it shouldn't just be for London. All of us across the country should do this on one day. Who's up for organising it??? can you imagine the gridlock on Britain's roads, it would be brilliant! and then no one will moan at us again. In fact, we should just get these back window stickers printed up and put them in our cars anyway. How about it @Shaun?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That is a brilliant idea. but it shouldn't just be for London. All of us across the country should do this on one day. Who's up for organising it??? can you imagine the gridlock on Britain's roads, it would be brilliant! and then no one will moan at us again. In fact, we should just get these back window stickers printed up. How about it @Shaun?
I remember thinking about this a couple of years ago and I think someone tried to set up a non cycling day last year to prove the point. But it's the independent, get-round-it spirit of cyclists that will always stop it becoming major. Cyclists aren't going to vote for gridlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom