Helmets stop people cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
So suggesting that someone who doesn't wear a helmet is arrogant is being polite? You won't mind me calling you a ignorant knob then....
I will not argue with you on any level! And my opinion on helmet wearing I will keep to myself. But I have to say you are a very rude and abusive person, and your use of the word "knob" as a description for another person who hasn't insulted you personally is quite offensive. Joey didn't deserve the response he got you!

Licramite

Über Member
I will not argue with you on any level! And my opinion on helmet wearing I will keep to myself. But I have to say you are a very rude and abusive person, and your use of the word "knob" as a description for another person who hasn't insulted you personally is quite offensive. Joey didn't deserve the response he got you!

Honestly any conversation User gets involved in is not worth pursuing, it will only reduce to insults and abuse. As soon as regulator gets involved I walk away. any hope of a sensible discussion at that point is dead.

Davidc

Guru
^^ User isn't always correct, and I can often pick arguments with him, but I'd suggest that you look again - he does usually contribute sensibly to discussions.

User's first post in this thread is sensible enough that I've just plagiarised it verbatim for use elsewhere!

Licramite

Über Member
I would give you my opinion of regulator but he would report me to the forum regulator like last time, he is the sort of guy who will merrily dish it out but can't take it back.
lets just say I really value his opinion - just not very highly.

Licramite

Über Member
I've decided Helmets definately do stop you cycling,
whens it's pissing down and blowing a gale , I look at my helmet and think , It's your fault i'm not going out there, but for you making me behave like some sort of SAS type on my bike , and drivers thinking I'm made of steel because I'm wearing a plastic covered polystyrene cup on my head - I'm not going out today.

broadway

Veteran
Nothing to do with danger, but about 4 years I dusted down an old bike in the garage and started commuting, I would still be in car if helmets were mandatory. 4 years on I am still commuting and cycling around town.

But I should I get a helmet for my mother-in-law as she has fallen twice and hit her head in the last 10 years. Maybe mandatory helmets for OAPs would be a good thing?

Licramite

Über Member
yes you did 10 Nov 2012. , the moderator didn't name you but it was just after one of your normally abusive posts I had replied to. - and there was no one else in the conversation at the time.
If I'm wrong I apologise - it doesn't change my opinion of you thought.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Honestly any conversation User gets involved in is not worth pursuing, it will only reduce to insults and abuse. As soon as regulator gets involved I walk away. any hope of a sensible discussion at that point is dead.

The same could be said with regards to yourself, except with you it isn't insults and abuse, it is just pure dreck.

Nothing to do with danger, but about 4 years I dusted down an old bike in the garage and started commuting, I would still be in car if helmets were mandatory. 4 years on I am still commuting and cycling around town.

But I should I get a helmet for my mother-in-law as she has fallen twice and hit her head in the last 10 years. Maybe mandatory helmets for OAPs would be a good thing?

The most vulnerable demographic group ie elderly male pedestrians

StuartG

slower but further
Tried that. My mother was falling weekly and being admitted to A&E monthly with, mostly, head injuries. The Falls people visited - removed all rugs and so forth but when I mentioned a helmet they looked at me all funny. Yep, funny old world ...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My elderly neighbour cared lovingly for his wife, who had Alzheimers, He made frequent calls to doctors following many, many falls. He was reported to the Police by one 'after hours' doctor because he suspected my neighbour was harming his wife and blaming the injuries on falls- it was awful. He did then try a cycling helmet and her injuries were significantly reduced.

Feastie

Über Member
Well in my experience I've fallen off my bike both with and without helmet and hit my head. Both of them hurt like hell, but only one of them has left me with a dent in the noggin which can still be observed in certain lights. No prizes for guessing which!

To be honest in terms of the image, seeing all these cyclists whizzing round London wearing pro kit with their clip in shoes, lycra, bum-pads, mini-computers and so on, I'm actually inclined to think that the cycling "Uniform" must attract at least as many people as it puts off! People seem to love dressing up - it's all about the best kit and the shiniest new bike. And also perhaps a little bit about the cycling :P A cool helmet is part of the gear.

broadway

Veteran
To be honest in terms of the image, seeing all these cyclists whizzing round London wearing pro kit with their clip in shoes, lycra, bum-pads, mini-computers and so on, I'm actually inclined to think that the cycling "Uniform" must attract at least as many people as it puts off! People seem to love dressing up - it's all about the best kit and the shiniest new bike. And also perhaps a little bit about the cycling :P A cool helmet is part of the gear.

And how do you avoid putting normal people off? :bicycle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom