Helmets & trains In spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThePainInSpain

It's quite bad that spain has brought in a helmet law but you have got to remember that in many respects they are still fairly third world country compared to say britain.

There are actually 3 types of Policia, Guardia Civil, Policia National and Policia Local.

And you're right Spain is still in many ways a 3rd world country, although the Spanish would never accept that, and that's half the problem. You have to bare in mind that they have only had a democracy for the past 35 years, and are still a bunch of amateurs in political and legislative matters.
They do tend to bring in laws that have really not been thought through properly, and subsequently end up keep changing them.

Unfortunately 'extreme heat' in this country tends to mean over 40c, as temperatures in the 30's are quite normal in the summer.

One of the other exception for helmet wearing is, the law states that helmets must be worn on 'interurban routes'. This means the roads between towns and villages, in the urban areas there appears to be no compulsion to wear a helmet.

I must confess that I ALWAYS wear a helmet on my bike, like I always wear one on my motor scooter and always wear my seat belt in the car.

But then I have now become acclimatised to the heat.

It's quite bad that spain has brought in a helmet law but you have got to remember that in many respects they are still fairly third world country compared to say britain.

I'm not sure in what sense Spain is third world when compared to Britain. Spain's health system is something the NHS could only aspire to. For me, the European country that felt closest to Britain (or at least the bit I'm from - Blackburn) in terms of how it felt to me (general shabbiness and how runned down everything felt) was provincial Hungary, but at least Hungary had the excuse of 30 years of communism. Anyway, enough politics.

The conclusion seems to be: Wear a helmet if you want to, and carry one with you if you don't want any hassle.

I'm not sure in what sense Spain is third world when compared to Britain.
The conclusion seems to be: Wear a helmet if you want to, and carry one with you if you don't want any hassle.

As poster above says, but also you only need to go in one of their "supermarkets" to realise they've got quite a long way to go. Not quite to the same extent as greece but I don't think they've quite grasped the principle of sexism over there either.

andym

Über Member
The wearing of a cycle helmet in Spain whilst 'Driving a Bicycle' on an interurban route is mandatory.

UNLESS :
You are in an urban area
You are going uphill
It is very hot
For medical reasons.

Yes folks, this is the law................well it is Spain, what can you expect !

Well if it's all too complicated then the simple option is to just wear a helmet. Practical, sensible, legal.

And when it comes to ridiculousness how about the ludicrous image of middle-aged brits trolling around with hrlmets strapped to their racks in the name of some spurious sense of rebellion. You are old enough to know better.

Well if it's all too complicated then the simple option is to just wear a helmet. Practical, sensible, legal.

And when it comes to ridiculousness how about the ludicrous image of middle-aged brits trolling around with hrlmets strapped to their racks in the name of some spurious sense of rebellion. You are old enough to know better.

Ah, but it's not a question of rebellion. It's about feeling a cool breeze on your hot, sweaty head as you take in the gorgeous Spanish countryside.

Each to their own.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Ah, but it's not a question of rebellion. It's about feeling a cool breeze on your hot, sweaty head as you take in the gorgeous Spanish countryside.

Each to their own.

Yes, each to their own.

Y'know, I was going to add something along the lines of "I don't want to turn this into a pro/anti helmet debate" at the end of my OP but thought that might actually encourage some people, you can't win! :biggrin:

Ps. Granville, what did you mean about the supermarkets?

Ps. Granville, what did you mean about the supermarkets?

Yep, I didn't understand the supermarkets comment either. Spain has its giant supermarkets, just like the UK (perhaps not as many), but the local, smaller supermarkets sell food that you can eat and wine that you can drink and that's all you need really. And just in case you forget to bring yours the larger supermarkets even sell cycling helmets!

And any slight negative due to smaller supermarkets is easily made up for by how considerate the Spanish drivers are. It's a great place to ride.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Yep, I didn't understand the supermarkets comment either. Spain has its giant supermarkets, just like the UK (perhaps not as many), but the local, smaller supermarkets sell food that you can eat and wine that you can drink and that's all you need really. And just in case you forget to bring yours the larger supermarkets even sell cycling helmets!

And any slight negative due to smaller supermarkets is easily made up for by how considerate the Spanish drivers are. It's a great place to ride.

Yes, I was always find that the large supermarkets have an array of fresh produce that puts the UK ones to shame. And you are right, the small ones have everything that you might need and those too, have far more fresh fruit & veg than say a dismal Tesco Express, I know I eat out of them. I wonder what he meant?

ThePainInSpain

As now a resident of Spain for nearly 10 years (in fact 10 years tomorrow), I have to agree that in many ways this is a 3rd world country, but in many others it is equal to or superior to the UK.

Regarding drivers (probably the worst in Europe), but they do generally have respect for cyclists. A law was brought in a few years ago (after one of their top pro road racers was killed on the road about 400m from my house. The states that drivers have to give cyclists 2m clearance, whatever the road conditions. In fact you are allowed to cross a solid white line to pass a cyclist.

Fish on a bike

Re helmets, some people have extra thick skulls to protect them I guess! I'm sure lycra is banned in built up area's in some communist countries and quite rightly :tongue:. Spain third world? don't worry the UK is catching it up, I think the Spanish just have different priorities to us Brits, and it sounds like a good country for bike travel.

I'm curious as to how strictly enforced it is in majorca if you are a lycra wearing roadie. I wouldn't be too bothered about a fine, but I would rather not have my "front wheel confiscated".
I went to majorca recently and didn't wear a helmet, apart from the first day, after which I realised just how hot it was and didn't bother with it. If you are allowed to not wear it when it's "hot", does that mean you are allowed to go helmetless all the time?

However I'm not sure whether the fact I didn't get my collar felt is because I didn't encounter a policeman who'd got out of bed the wrong side (although i did see some "la gardia", not sure whether they were the right type of police though, I'm vaguely conscious there are two types of police on the continent, local and national?)

I cycle into and out of gibraltar every day. Every day I pass, National Police, Guardia Civil, Gib Border Guards and the Gib Local police. Not once have I had a problem not wearing a helmet in either country.

I do wear a helmit when on the mountain bike or road bike in the hills tho. This definition of "hot" is quite open ended. To some.. 20c is hot. To others 40c is hot.

Sounds like cyclists and helmets isnt particularly enforced.

Spanish drivers are curteous of cyclists in general. Except on the busy dual carriageways.
I recently cycled through spain and france. Arrived in the UK and found that the worst as far as drivers and road conditions were concerned.

Top Bottom