Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Tangent alert.

Watching the Tour yesterday, I noticed quite a few riders had their helmets straps loose. Done up but loose.

OP
OP
buzzy bee

buzzy bee

Hi

I was thinking about this, if they have lots of spaces/vents then they may be less effective, I don't care what they look like, I just don't want a replay of friday.

I can connect with the dental associasion myself, as I must have hit the floor that hard, on saturday all my teeth were aching, and some felt wobly, I must have bitten really hard when hitting my head.

I am not sure about full face helmmets though, I may as well wear my motorcycle hat, then again, a visor would be nice!

Cheers

Dave

buzzy bee said:
Hi

I was thinking about this, if they have lots of spaces/vents then they may be less effective, I don't care what they look like, I just don't want a replay of friday.

I can connect with the dental associasion myself, as I must have hit the floor that hard, on saturday all my teeth were aching, and some felt wobly, I must have bitten really hard when hitting my head.

I am not sure about full face helmmets though, I may as well wear my motorcycle hat, then again, a visor would be nice!

Cheers

Dave

There are other dangers with Vents ... the (appropriately named) Professor Hurt:

During the last couple of years, the technical staff at HPRL has encountered an interesting-and possibly dangerous-problem with the aerodynamic-shaped or streamlined bicycle helmets. These popular helmets have a teardrop design which tapers to a wedge at the rear of the helmet, supposedly reducing aerodynamic drag along with increased ventilation through the many openings in the shell.

The adverse effect of this aerodynamic shape is that the wedge at the back of the helmet tends to deflect and rotate the helmet on the head when impact occurs there. Any impact at the front or sides of the streamlined helmet is no different from other helmet shapes, but any impact on the rear wedge tends to rotate the helmet on the head, probably deflecting the helmet to expose the bare head to impact, and at worst ejecting the helmet completely from the head. Actually, everybody who has tested these streamlined helmets over the past years has encountered the problem of these helmets being displaced during impact testing at the rear wedge. Usually additional tape was required to maintain the helmet in place during rear impact tests; usually the basic retention system alone could not keep the helmet in place during impact testing on the rear of the helmet.

Unfortunately, the implication of helmet displacement and possible ejection in an actual accident impact did not register as a real hazard in previous years of testing, but now there are accident cases appearing that show this to be a genuine hazard for bicycle riders wearing these streamlined helmets. Accident impacts at the rear of these streamlined helmets can cause the helmet to rotate away and expose the head to injury, or eject the helmet completely. The forces generated from the wedge effect can stretch the chinstraps very easily, and even break the [occipital--Prof. Hurt used a trademarked name] retention devices.

We request that F08.53 committee study this problem and develop advisory information for both manufacturers of these streamlined helmets and consumer bicyclists who now own and wear such helmets. There is a definite hazard for displacement or ejection from impact on the rear wedge of these helmets, and bicyclists should be warned of this danger by an authority such as ASTM.

s/Hugh H. Hurt, Jr
Professor Emeritus-USC
President, Head Protection Research Laboratory

s/Christopher B. Swanson
Laboratory Manager, Head Protection Research Laboratory

Top Bottom