Help/Advice on Waterproof Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Whyte

Hello folks I hope you can help me out here, I`m waiting on the delivery of my new bike and have already got all of the things I need to go with it but I`m having trouble trying to find a good lightweight waterproof jacket. My budget is about £180.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Gore C5 Shakedry jacket. Its the best bit of cycling kit I have ever owned.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would agree, if you want lightweight and waterproof with breathability then shakedry is what you should be after. I got mine (a C7) for £125 in a pretty good deal.

They sound really good

But it does worry me that so many cycling jackets are black (or similar) - when I am riding I want something that can be seen easily

which is why I have a hi-vis jacket

basically when someone says 'sorry mate - didn't see you' then I want it to sound as dumb as possible!

I bought a gore clone jacket and its seemed tit leaked, so I got a better one, a full blown gore shakedry and still the arms/shoulders leaked - well erm except it doesn't it is just that I'm a sweaty beast and it just condenses there. So do be aware you can still 'boil in the bag' just like in a cheap jacket.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Showers Pass do great cycling jackets, I've got the Elite 2.1 jacket in "gold". (It's actually more like orange / yellow). Spa Cycles currently have it at £179.

Screenshot_20200614-142527_Chrome.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm in a similar position, am tight and also need a general purpose waterproof - are any members using their cycling gear for general use or are they relegated strictly to cycling? An obvious omission seems to be side pockets on cycling jackets..

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm in a similar position, am tight and also need a general purpose waterproof - are any members using their cycling gear for general use or are they relegated strictly to cycling? An obvious omission seems to be side pockets on cycling jackets..
That's the issue with jackets that are really good on the bike, they're designed to be comfortable with the rider in the riding position so the good ones are short at the front, extra long in the back, and tend to have sleeves that feel too long when you're stood up straight.
And of course the pockets! The one I have has a good chest pocket but none at the sides, the main waterproof storage is across the lower back.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
That's the issue with jackets that are really good on the bike, they're designed to be comfortable with the rider in the riding position so the good ones are short at the front, extra long in the back, and tend to have sleeves that feel too long when you're stood up straight.
And of course the pockets! The one I have has a good chest pocket but none at the sides, the main waterproof storage is across the lower back.
Thanks - looks like more expense on the horizon then!

Top Bottom